The search for a High Output, low noise pump continues.....

SOOOOO FRUSTRATED....

I originally (like an idiot) believed the advertising for the Iwaki MD100-RLT and purchased it to run my manifold on my 90 gallon aquarium. It was SOOOOO loud. And Bulk Reef Supply wouldnt let me return it. OUCH! $460 mistake.

Now I purchased a $250 Mag 24. Not as loud as the Iwaki, but it was submerged! Still loud. I will be returning it

My tank is in my bedroom right now. I have a Mag 5 pump right now just to keep the water circulating through the pump. It does not provide enough flow to create a draw through the overflow to remove detritus that is floating around.

I need some advice, this is becoming so frustrating. Right now the only thing I can hear from my tank is the fans on the light fixture, and a little bit of trickle in the overflow. The tank is peaceful and thats how I would like to keep it. I need the pump to run two reactors, feed 25gph back into the refugium , and pump the water through 20 feet of piping to get to a chiller and back, and finally return to a 6 foot rise to feed the tank.

What pump do others have on there tanks? Is being quiet not an option? AAGAGHHAHHHHHHH

BLADEYAMAHA

How big is your tank? How much flow can it flow through the overflows? What about a Mag 12 or something that size? That's 1200 gallons per hour.

TheBishop

20 feet plus? wow even a mag 24 is not enough for that, you can't cut down on the distance some, that is insane

Why such a large pump on a 90 gallon tank? seems like overkill for a return from your sump, a 9.5 or a 12 would probably do ok. I run a mag 7 in my 55 gallon system gives plenty of pull through my 20 gallon sump

I need a little more flow because I have the pump running a manifold that has two reactors, a chiller, and return to the refugium on it.

I agree I was going big, but the calculations seemed right. The noise is horrible though.

Blade- The mag 24 was really loud. it sounded like there was air bubbles whirling around in the impeller. I put my hand over the output to immitate throttling the thing back. The noise was reduced but still not even near quiet

TheBishop

lol i changed my response after reading more of your post. Mag 24's are loud, when you have to push that much water through that much pipe its going to be loud. You are not going to find a quieter pump anywhere at that size.

lol i changed my response after reading more of your post. Mag 24's are loud, when you have to push that much water through that much pipe its going to be loud. You are not going to find a quieter pump anywhere at that size.

no the pump is loud before i een hook it up. i set it in the sump and turned it on. 20 ft is probably an exaggeration, and there are no right angles do it shouldn't be too much resistance for the water to flow through the pipe.

I originally was going to plumb everything separate, but after multiple suggestions I created a manifold type system. I wish those people could chime in. Someone out there must have a similar setup to mine

Im thinking of maybe having two returns... One that feeds the manifold, and the other that feeds the display tank directly? two smaller QUIETER ones!

BLADEYAMAHA

You really need a pressure pump for 15 feet of line. A Mag pump is not designed really to do that kind of work. IMO.

BLADEYAMAHA

I think you gotta realize big tanks aren't meant to be in your room with large pumps or you need sound dampening or something.

BLADEYAMAHA

My Gen X 1090 GPH Pump does make noise, not overly loud mind you and runs my My Reef Creation MR-1 Skimmer, the Skimmer sucks mass air and makes a lot of noise but I go to sleep every night and don't wake up because of it.

is 15 feet really that much? it seems pretty normal to me... Leaves sump(6ft to chiller) + (6ft back to sump) + (6ft up to tank)