The RSM Adventure

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The Tubastrea are beautiful, if you're committed to target feed them - they're not photosynthetic (as you may already know). Otherwise all nice choices!

Here's a DIY idea I came across yesterday for feeding the sun corals (or any coral really):

DIY Sun Coral Feeder

Have fun buying corals!

alphasierra

Great link Reefmack... I may just have to give that a go. Thanks for showing us.

Today was a busy day for the aquarium and myself. As many of you know the hood needs to be removed to allow easy access to the rear chambers so I set about dismantling. I nearly broke one of the white plastic pins which supports the hood so I must be extra careful in the future. :doh:
I'm glad the guys at redsea re-designed the hood for the 130D.

Dismanteling.jpg

For the first time I noticed how dirty the rear fan was so I decided to wipe it down.

Rearcoolerfan.jpg

Initially when the aquarium was set up and the pumps started running, one of them vibrated so my gf came up with a nifty idea. She just cut a small piece of plastic hosing and squeezed it between the two pumps. Nothing heard since.

Thepumps.jpg

I decided to take a few pics of the last chamber to show how the carbon was placed. I noticed that the old carbon wasn't next to the gap/inlet at the bottom of the chamber and that it was very dirty. Way past it's used by date! Obviously this placement didn't allow water flow through the carbon, rather around it therefore I ensured that I would place the new carbon as close as possible.

Oldcarbonplacement.jpg

A close up and comparison

Oldcarbon.jpg
comparison.jpg

Not a very clear shot but it shows that I put the new carbon right at the inlet.(thanks redseareef for mentioning the importance of this) I'm not sure what and whether I should place anything behind to secure it.

Newcarbonplacement.jpg

And finally the back section all set-up again. Notice the submerged pump which is used for the chiller (which is still required even though it's winter here :stars: )
I really want to buy the accessories kit that is available to prevent unrestricted water flow and no hose kinks. Still waiting for it to be released.

Theworkings-1.jpg

As always guys, please feel free to offer some advise or comments. :bouncer:

redseareef

RS Sponsor
alphasierra,
Great job there! Yes, I had a feeling the Turkey Baster would bring about a Major Snow Storm,lol! It's great to get in the habit of doing that a few times a week. Later, if you ever get a Vorteck it keeps the debris suspended much better and allows the skimmer to remove much more if it!
Your water should look much more clear tomorrow too! Nice job on all the pictures. Almost like we are there watching you!
You can make yourself some basic 90 degree fittings out of PVC from Home Depot or Lowes that will work great for your chiller lines and be VERY inexpensive! I have done it numerous times. Then put barb fittings on each end for your hoses to attatch to. Then clamp them on with steel hose clamps! You can do anything with PVC and glue!!!LOL!
Looking good!!!! Keep up the good work! The tank will reward you with less green algae and more purple algae!!!

alphasierra

Thanks guys..

LOL... I'm addicted to the turkey baster at the moment. It is so useful in the aquarium!

Later, if you ever get a Vorteck it keeps the debris suspended much better and allows the skimmer to remove much more if it!

Don't tempt me redseareef:lol: I spent today reading the thread that Reefmack started regarding the Vortech. I know you were considering one... did you get it? It does look impressive from the pics and various videos on their website. I've seen it in the shops over here but it's more expensive than in the US? :doh:
I've also continued reading up on the RO/DI kits. Thinking I'll have to give in and get one. I had a look at the Typhoon which you have from airwaterice. So many choices...!!! What to get?? What are you other guys using?
Basically I'm thinking I only need a 50GPD, TDS and an automatic shutoff valve. Not sure whether to get a resin deionization cartridge? Other brands includes Seachem Pinnacle (50GPD) and the Coralife Pure Flo II (50GPD)

I now understand why everyone says that it can be an expensive hobby but hey... it's worth it!!:thumbup:

Mavjoy

alphasierra- WOW!!!...nice set of dendros you got there. I'm jealous..hehe..I feed mine frozen mysis shrimp but it eats anything...they are really nice.

alphasierra

Thanks guys... I'm rather excited too. It has such a vibrant colour. I may just have to buy another one.

Mavjoy your Tubastraea looks great too. Mine hasn't fully extended yet (must be full). I've fed it brine shrimp but I'll be looking to get some mysis shrimp too. I want to vary its diet.

Anyhow, I found this link a few weeks ago while researching this coral. Not sure if any of you have seen it but it is the most comprehensive that I've come across. An interesting read. :read:

Tubastraea sp everything...3 - UltimateReef.com

alphasierra

Now that I've finally had a chance to organize the vast number of photos taken, I can give you an update on the progress and new additions to the tank.

You can tell from a previous post that I've finally purchased some coral. I've posted some pics of them below.

To my surprise most of the shops here in Hong Kong that I've visited just use normal tap water for their aquariums!! What???!!!... you say. I asked and showed them a picture of a RO/DI unit but most said they didn't need one. It got me thinking.... maybe the water quality was rather good? Anyhow, I was still determined to find one and by chance I came across a retailer which sold some units. So I bought one plus a TDS indicator. It is set up and seems to be operating well. Normal tap water is 046ppm and becomes 000ppm after wards. From what I've read this is rather good compared to other places so I'm hoping that this will assist with a reduction in algae.

I also finally gave in a bought Vorteh MP20. As others have already said on this forum, it is fantastic!! This combined with a turkey baster cleans the tank rather well. I removed the K1 from the tank. The water flow is amazing and the fish seem to enjoy the varying currents.

Here is a picture of all it's components
DSCN0246.jpg

The corals are probably the most exciting part so far of this RSM adventure. I haven't secured them just yet as I'll wait to see how they go in their current positions. As you know... I love posting pics so here are some more.

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0265.jpg

DSCN0264.jpg

DSCN0270.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

Taken just after my cleaner shrimp shed its shell

DSCN0221modified.jpg

Mavjoy

Nice Goniopora! I'm checking another one of these guys and my LFS has this pink colored one with blue/purple centers.

alphasierra

Not much happened today. I did my first water change using the new RO/DI unit. I'm going to use up the rest of the Red Sea salt then change over to the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt as I've read that it is specially designed for RO water. Anyone one have any experience with it?

Does anyone know what's best to feed the Goniopora coral? It seemed to start off well yesterday but has been retracted most of today? :confused: Not sure if this is normal. I've read that they are rather difficult to keep but does anyone have some tips in giving them a head start?

Mavjoy

Does anyone know what's best to feed the Goniopora coral? It seemed to start off well yesterday but has been retracted most of today? :confused: Not sure if this is normal. I've read that they are rather difficult to keep but does anyone have some tips in giving them a head start?[/QUOTE]

I'm no expert on the Gonis but I have 2 so far and they're doing good. I have both of them mid-level on my tank and they like indirect flow. I feed mine phyto and sometimes target feed them with mysis too. Give them a lot of space 'cause they will extend their polyps. Plus, don't be surprise if they won't open after a week or so, 'cause one of mine stayed close for a while and after a few weeks, it finally extended their polyps all the way out. Here is a FTS and the gonis are on the sides of my birdsnest.
121220081124.jpg

I'm still learning on how to take care of them. Let me know if you find something new about them. I like mine a lot...hehe.

doubleduece

I checked Eric Borneman's book Aquarium Corals and it states that it's food source is mostly phytoplankton, ans some zooplankton.

alphasierra

Thanks doubleduece for the post. I've also got that book but forgot to look at it for this specific coral since I purchased it 'off the cuff'. Thanks for pointing it out and I'll have a :read: BTW... I'm very impressed with what is inside your cabinet. I have enough trouble not spilling water from the main tank let alone another one which is soooo close to the edge and the carpet. :thumbup:

Mavjoy and others - I did read on another forum that this type of coral thrives on a product called 'Liquid Life'. There are 3 types: Marine, Coral & Bio Plankton however I believe they were talking about the 'Liquid Life Coral Plankton'. I might have to look into it.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
alphasierra,
WOW, nice stuff! Let me know how you like the Vortech. I want one really bad. That may be my next big purchase.
The corals look great! IF the Goniopora is damaged(tear in the skin) they get infected quickly and usually die. They demand very clean water, and get alot of their energy from light. You can feed them baby brine. They will eat it and ingest down into their stalk.
They are a touchy coral. I currently have a Alveopora growing out of my live rock. I need to take some pics of it. Looks to be a really unique coral with 11 fingers around the mouth. I believe the Goniopora have double that amount.
Keep us up to speed on how it does.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Mav,
Many times if you get one that has a cut in teh flesh with algae growing out of it they just whither away and die. You have to get a good specimen and take it from there. They are a beauty of a coral once acclimated and grow rather quickly.
I have one for over 5 years that budded off babies. It was a really nice coral. I eventually killed it after a move my apartment to a Condo.
It was so sensitive, if I put a finger into the tank water is closed up or the stalks loosened up. A VERY sensitive coral!

alphasierra

LOL... you actually made me get one from your comments back in post #84
Vorteck it keeps the debris suspended much better and allows the skimmer to remove much more if it!

Therefore it's your fault!!:eek:lsmile: You must buy one now. But to respond to your question, it is fantastic so far. I'm so glad that I bought it as I've never really liked the appearance of the K1 within my RSM plus if I upgrade to a larger tank down the track this unit will be very useful. It also looks great and is so powerful too. I took some pics for you and others that may not have seen it. The original Vortex thread started by Reefmack can be found here http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/38333-vortech-mp20-rsm.html. Maybe it's you fault too Reefmack. :D

The control unit which is now installed in the cabinet
DSCN0395.jpg

The motor assembly
DSCN0306.jpg

The slick design/in operation
DSCN0378.jpg

In the 2 days the Vortech has been running I've noticed the (stock) skimmer is gathering more gunk than before. I'm now happy with the overall water flow in the tank.

Check out the difference in the filter pads after two days!!
Comparisonafter2days.jpg

The collection cup
CollectionCup.jpg