The Old birds 55

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
As some of you know my girlfriend is not all that savvy in the aquarium department. i have been trying for months to get her interested.. she has recently been asking some questions and the other day i came home and she was sitting in front of the reef tank pointing at a coral asking "when did you get that?" well honey ive had that for 6 months...lol its a start i guess.. so i asked her if she would like a tank of her own.. her reply is that it wouldnt be hers if i always take care of it and she is terrified of taking care of a saltwater tank.. so the asnwer was clearly a 55g freshwater tank... Im actually kindof impressed at how excited she is to have it.. we just got home from petsmart...( been at least a year since ive looked in there fish dept.) she has decided on cichlids and an albino pleco. I can already tell its going to be somewhat of a chore for me to maintain my enthusiasm towards her cichlid tank but i am very happy she is taking the plunge..
it was woodgrain on a black stand so i took care of that right away..
IMG_20120325_132744.jpg

IMG_20120325_132758.jpg

IMG_20120325_151840.jpg

IMG_20120325_202049.jpg

IMG_20120325_202211.jpg

Now she has a tank!!.... I cant wait until she wants it salt so i can break out the pvc glue... ohh do i love pvc..

Funlad3

Tell her to loose the fake plant and get some more rock in there, pronto! Cichlids are more entertaining than you think; they're mean...

Glad you managed to get her started, you can be my fish dealer's assistant. :D

dmatt88

Lucky! There's a clam joke hiding in getting her to go salt. Worst case scenario is cichlid breeding. Many r mouth brooders n its cool as hell to watch. Sas join in anytime.

........kill em with kindness "they" always say.

Built347

lol.. i know, i know, cichlids are pretty cool... i had cichlid tanks for 5-6 years before i switched salt.... I have never looked back until now though... i am super pumped that its gonna cost less to fully stock this tank than the last piece of coral i bought.,.. lmao.. freshwater is cheap..

Built347

and ya i put my .02 in on the plants and rock.. we think alike ben.. I literally had to say "not in my house" when she walked up to me in petsmart with the giant plastic pirate ship for the tank... LMAO.. this whole ordeal has been hilarious.. im just happy her and I have something to talk about now... lol

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
gateway tank? well done Sir! Cichlids are great, from what Ive learned about them try and stick to one species, enough for a decent colony, you never see the community aspect with mixed species

Built347

Just one question... Does she like being referred to as, "The Old Bird"? lmao!! :D

LOL... she was standing right behind me... i got a "PSHHHH!!.. is that what all you guys call us when were not around?"... i quickly replied YES.. Lmao.. shes a good sport..

Built347

gateway tank? well done Sir! Cichlids are great, from what Ive learned about them try and stick to one species, enough for a decent colony, you never see the community aspect with mixed species

like all africans?.. or like all one kind of fish? ive always had a salad of cichlids.. i am curious about this community.. can you elaborate?

steved13

PREMIUM
LOL... she was standing right behind me... i got a "PSHHHH!!.. is that what all you guys call us when were not around?"... i quickly replied YES.. Lmao.. shes a good sport..

Say no more, say no more, wink wink, nudge nudge

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
sure! we keep Tropheus sp black at least 3 or 4 hundred, the more there are the happier they are, everybody starts out picking the pretty colors, 2 of this 3 of that etc, very hard for them to breed in a mix so the court ship dances are missing, its just a whole other thing with just one type

Built347

that sounds really cool... id like to see that. I don't know if i can convince her of this though.. I can only imagine how boring one kind of fish sounds to a first time aquariust.. sounds awesome tho... i will for sure state my case..

Funlad3

I never found out in your old threads Sas, what types of FW did you have, and what sizes?