The decline of species in are hobby who is to blame. A discussion, not a blaming game

Basile

Tired of being pointed and accused and blamed as the cause for the decline in species. A glimpse of what you should know , i'm not an activist or part of any group, Peta or any or these associations, its not a political statement, i just read and i can make up my own mind, but i hate hypocrisy of goverments and companies who target us as THE MAIN cause for species decline an impose on us restriction while the companies most responsable for the destruction of habitat and wild life seems to have no restrictions at all. Sorry for the sarcasm but i'm pissed today, by these findings.

As i read my book i discover a few reality and truths about are hobby. These few lines are very indicative of it. [[[ Wheater on the coast of Kenya (Mombassa) where the reefs have been badly destroyed by the impact of massive tourism, or in the straits of Malaca where extensive ship traffic affects the reefs and rocky coastal area, especially between Sumatra and Singapore, or the reefs damaged by off-shore oil drilling in central Java sea.... ]]]]] The point being when we are told by goverments that the fishing or aquarist hobby as captured too many and are responsable for the decline of such and such species, i would like to remind eveybody that they're passing the bucket to us! That its the other human activities, plundering especially of companies , from big oils, to mining and the flock of tourist and stupid tourist with their plastis wrap left everywhere that pollutes and destroy the environment that are the major problem in this equation, not the sole aquarist hobbyist per say and to put us as the single cause is an unfair statement, and in their decisions, verdict and announcement it should underline it very specifically and up front as to promote and put responsability where it is most due. Their's more tourist, companies and oil than hobbyist in this world.

aframe_dede_zak_6862_inertia11.jpg

Stained glass surfing.

727518633b03dc4230207e3da0ae45d71.jpg

Vast-Fields-Of-Tires.jpg

Hey its the new leather coral ; Oldoranus, Tirenass,sp. They're indestructable you can't kill these and the reproduce , by millions each year.

6294.jpeg

You must be so proud of your new multimillion dollars yak, i mean yacht.

Biorock-01.jpg

Where my bike mom, where we ditched it the last time!

sea-urchin-with-rubbish-45M1910-16.jpg

The poor thing couldn't find anything in the ocean to camouflage himself so we tought we'd help him.

trash_lge.jpg

Hope that quenched your thirst

scuba-divers-picking-up-45M1910-19.jpg

Ahhh a bigger thirst

1075323Xljgd7HmDz.jpeg

Familly party thirst.

rubbish.jpg

Definitely us hobbyist who endager the reefs and the shores of the world look at us and what we do.

5a3.jpg

You think these idiots care where they are.

034787261_prevstill.jpeg

Apparently not they left their costume behind

testing-waters-press-conference.jpg

Pharmaceutical companies dumping chemicals 24/7.I though my fish look a bit neurotic these days. He swims backward and upside down ever seen that anywhere ? In any case to hide the evidence you need a good make up job.

download.jpg

A whole city take a dump that must feel so good 24/7

toxicdruminwater.jpg

An unkown hazardous chemical, i love a good mystery.

beach-pollution.jpg

Don't you love a colorfull ocean. We're truely artist of the world. I'm sure everybody appreciates it even the animals below.

T6545_ocean_pollution.jpg

Is it before or after the mess.

4641977bcb8f340f35090a1f26932be5.jpg

Its just a tiny part of the ocean can't have any effect on the wild life. Except that it happens every day somewhere, so often in fact thats its no longer news.

debris-breakdown_000.jpg

4fad8be241bae3900b9b9ca0af2cee24143b969e_bird_gut_plastic1.jpg

It wasn't disected that was how the remains where found.

408035_297003057026571_1619186322_n.jpg

25-years-entanglement-stats-2010-final.png

OceanConservancyTopTenDebrisGraphic-thumb-500x529-12493.jpg

TOP-10--2010-final.png

ghost-marine-debris-stats-fldep.jpg

sediment.jpg

Approved by are goverments

o01_23334333.jpg

energycomment1.gif

api-1169part-40-cfr-112-part-1-of-2oil-pollution-prevention-8-638.jpg

a-sewage-leak-from-a-copper-mine-polluted-a-river-and-reservoir-in-july-2010-poisoning-more-than-4-billion-pounds-of-fish.jpg

Delicate-patterns-in-the--002.jpg

I wonder what kind of song would the BeachBoys write with that kind of wave.

coral04.jpg

Basile

The decline of species in are hobby who is to blame. A discussion, not a blaming gam

I'm not responsable for any of this are you when you buy your little fish. So why is the goverment single us out as the destroyer of reefs and blame us for the decline of species....sorry for the sarcasm but i'm pissed off today.

249.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

GGP-1-waters.jpg

07deadfish.jpg

fishing-net-on-reef-24M2110-01.jpg

Have you catch your lunch today??

d167e63452e7e7249c627268a3330bf5.jpg

ocean-of-plastic1-620x357.jpg

marine-trash-24M1910-06D.jpg

water_pollution7.jpg

Oil-Spill-Clean-Up-580x386.jpg

unhealthy-porites-covered-in-s.jpg

This pile of gooooo result of chemical dumping.

So before you're to eager to accept responsability for the decline of species in the reefs just remember that these activities where happening for far longer before we had , us the general public access to aquariums. I'm not saying that we don't have are faults and that are methods are without reproche i'm just saying the goverment and companies are quick to give us the blame whitout condidering who had free hands before on and in the ocean.

mikecc

Re: The decline of species in are hobby who is to blame. A discussion, not a blaming

I live 1000 miles from an ocean. All we got around here are dry river beds.

puffermike

Re: The decline of species in are hobby who is to blame. A discussion, not a blaming

The thing that the governments are blind to see is how the majority of aquarists out there are willing to help establish the reefs. Our hobby plays a very small part in the "decline" of reefs. What they neglect to understand is that we grow corals in captivity, day by day. We have happy, healthy corals that one day we could all ship off to reproduce the beautiful reefs that people destroy on a daily basis. The major causes of a lot of the reefs declining in health has been going on for over 30 years. Collection is a far cry from the true problem.

Imagine if every hobbyist fragged one piece of their coral and put it back into the ocean. Suddenly the people they are pointing the finger at are the only ones who can save the reefs. I'm glad companies like the ORA exist out there.

If science, government and hobbyists thought together on a more grand level, there is no telling how great of a positive impact we could have on the reefs. We love the reefs too! Why do they struggle to understand this...

DaveK

I'm not responsable for any of this are you when you buy your little fish. So why is the goverment single us out as the destroyer of reefs and blame us for the decline of species....sorry for the sarcasm but i'm pissed off today.
{... images and some text removed...}

The answer to you question should be obvious. Government groups, tourists groups, industrial groups have large sums of money to spend on promoting their cause and to lobby the government to permit them to do all this. The SW reef hobbyist and the ornamental fish industry by comparison is run on a show string. This makes us a very easy target.

Long term reef keepers might recall how the state of Florida outlawed the collection of live rock, even after it was demonstrated that the live rock collection had almost zero effect on the reefs, and the the creation of new live rock was much greater than wat was being removed.

That wasn't the first time, it will not be the last.

Basile

The answer to you question should be obvious. Government groups, tourists groups, industrial groups have large sums of money to spend on promoting their cause and to lobby the government to permit them to do all this. The SW reef hobbyist and the ornamental fish industry by comparison is run on a show string. This makes us a very easy target.

Long term reef keepers might recall how the state of Florida outlawed the collection of live rock, even after it was demonstrated that the live rock collection had almost zero effect on the reefs, and the the creation of new live rock was much greater than wat was being removed.

That wasn't the first time, it will not be the last.

I know thats why i say don't be too hasty to take any blame show them the pictures like i just showed you. Seeing is beleiving. Charts means nothing. A camera and sludges and real people gets attention every time. I wasn't really asking or stating i was more demonstrating a fact. I got all this on the net by the way. Search- pollution-reefs-oil-disasters-destruction of reefs-oil spills- these words bring you these pictures then hook on to the links of each pictures and you get a story for each. And the excuses for each as well. And what the goverments not only yours, or mine have done or haven't done etc . One hour of this and you loose your appetite lol.

SeaboyHPT

Well, keep in mind, that some government dont have regulations at all! They take as much as they can get then take some more. Just look at Japan for example, they hunt hundreds of whales each year breaking an international treaty they signed years ago and still try to claim all that hunting is just "research". Look at how the Chinese traditional trade takes 20,000 tones of seahorse out of the ocean each year as a cure for erectile dysfunction. Without any scientific prof and real drugs that do what they want, I find it odd that everyone gives them a pass about how its tradition. Human sacrifices and head hunting used to be a tradition too.

sirrealism

Great post. Its sad to see this. I will saw that the one pic where the dozer is pushing the concrete off the barge is the way they make artificial reefs so I think that pic might be a good one. then again I could be wrong. As far as removing rock from FL the only way you can take rock now is to put the rock there and come back and harvest it later. You have to rent a plot and then place the rock. They do it with a barge and dozer just like the pic accept its smaller rock/concrete. I did not know that the new rock would regenerate faster then it was harvested.

reefle

this breaks my heart :/

I dont have much sympathy when it comes to other things, but I do love the ocean a lot and this kinda stuff really bothers me