The benefit of feeding clams

Paul B

I just love clams, I collect them, I feed them to my fish, I eat them either raw, stuffed, fried, or in chowder but the only way I feed them to my fish is fresh. OK I buy them live and freeze them. I feel clams are the second best food we can feed our fish "and" corals for a few reasons. First of all, they are very cheap. I can buy a live chowder clam here in New York for about fifty cents (or I can catch them for free) I slightly open them and stick a popsicle stick, tooth pick or rolled up 100 dollar bill in it's shell so when I freeze it, it is easier to open. After it is frozen, I shave off paper thin slices as big as I want depending on what size fish I am feeding. A manta ray would get bigger slices than a sexy shrimp. I don't keep the more common fish, I don't have any tangs, percula clowns, or angels, I just find them to common but I do have copperbands, mandarins, pipefish, possum wrasses, and a weird assortment of gobies and ruby red dragonettes. Besides them my tank is a conglomeration of SPS, leathers, LPS and rusty beer cans. As the fish eat the thin slices of clam, clam juice is dispersed from the pieces that goes all over the tank. This does not go to waste as my algae trough (or algae filter) is filled up to the surface with tiny tube worms. My reverse undergravel filter is also loaded with them. Yes reverse undergravel filter, you can stop laughing now unless your tank is older. The tiny pieces of clam are just the thing for feeding giant leather corals, and forget about duncans, they grow so fast after eating clams that you can hear them creaking. The clam juice is undoubtedly used by the myriad of filter feeders and the slightly larger pieces are eaten by gorgonians and most corals. Clams are the best (or second best) food because a clam is an animal that sits on the bottom of a bay just hanging out for 7 or 8 years just sucking up water and everything that is in it. They are full of minerals including calcium which is what their shell is made out of. When you feed a clam to your tank you are feeding the entire clam including the guts, intestines, ears, eyelashes etc. Everything, unlike if you feed shrimp, squid, scallop, octopus, platypus or fish because those foods are just the muscle and not the guts. I don't eat most creature guts, but I am not a fish. Fish crave that stuff which is why some of my fish are on social security. If your fish are not dying of old age, you are feeding them wrong. You can tell them I said so. Fish fed correctly do not get sick, not ever (OK one fish in 100 may get hemorrhoids once in 20 years) And they live out their normal lifespan which may be anywhere from 10 to 30 years depending on what species it is "and" they should be spawning for almost all of those years. Clams is what you need. I know many people say they can't get clams and what I like to tell those people is, Move :rolleyes:
(By the way, the best food of course is live blackworms)

Paul B

Pics of what? Clams? No, that's it. I have pictures of my tank, Grand kids, SCUBA diving etc. but no more clams except the ones I am eating.

DaveK

It's quite possible to chop up the clam, and feed it "on the half shell". Many fish like this. If you have fish like triggers that can deal with an entire clam, you can just open the clam and feed it the same way.

Paul B

I don't feed the shells, I shave off thin pieces of frozen clams, the shells are huge and no fish would be able to eat a chowder clam shell. Smaller clams are fine but again, I would not feed the shell unless they are tiny clams and I am feeding puffers as they can handle a shell.
Shrimp are fine as long as you feed the entire shrimp, head and all. Most of the guts are in the head so feeding shrimp heads is OK as well but shrimp heads are mostly undigestable shell.

cracker

When using shrimp heads I usually clean the shrimp then rubberband the head, legs removed to a rock or strong veggie clip this exposes the inards where the fish can get at it.I then toss the empty shell. Now,for the tail I have a completely different feeding regimen which usually includes a hot pan, garlic,butter and lemon juice or some Tony's Cajun seasoning!

cracker

I picked up a 1/2 dozen cherry stones today. I ended up eating 2 before I remembered why I bought them. Anyway I shucked then froze them. I think I will take my micro plainer to some and spot feed my corals a little later tonight. Thanks Paul !

sirrealism

great info. I thought the best food was new hatched brine? But ok so it goes black worms, clams, new hatched brine. I am going to get some clams today.

cracker

I've been trying different stuff (for corals) brine,mysis and piscine and shrimp and now clams. I use a micro plainer. Anyway my corals seemed to like the clam zest. The fish liked the bigger pieces. Paul do You ever spot feed Your corals? Thanks

Last edited:

Paul B

I freeze them. I like to use chowder clams as they are about half a pound each so a clam lasts me a month. But I know big chowder clams are not available in a lot of places unless you live near the coast.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
do you "refreeze" them after you've shaved a bit off to feed? I assume so but wanted to check.

Are there any types of clams that you wouldn't use to feed the tank?

Paul B

Then don't thaw out when I shave off pieces, I only have them out of the freezer for a few minutes.
Any kind of clams or any kind of shellfish is fine except scallops. Clams, oysters, muscles
But the fish have to fight me for the oysters

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Haha I agree, the oysters are too good to feed!

I'll have to give this a shot, interested to see if I get any kind of response.

Thanks for sharing