The affects this hobby has on your relationship.

What affect does this hobby have on your relationship?

• We both love the hobby

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Wife / girlfriend is not that keen

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Husband / boyfriend is not that keen

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • The hobby broke up our marriage / relationship

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cool, but tell Devon to take the red dot sight off his rifle first before playing with the kitties :D.

Builtschic

The affects this hobby hase on your relationship.

Cool, but tell Devon to take the red dot sight off his rifle first before playing with the kitties :D.

Lol he loves the kitties. He actually thought I was using his fish tank temp gun when I was playing with them

HotelSoap

It's up in the air. Half of my friends think it's cool and different, the other half have said some really harsh and unsavory things about it. My girlfriend now ex, didn't love or hate it she just didn't "understand" it if that makes sense.

Camille

My Husband doesn't understand my obsession with my reef tank (or shoes) but he loves me and is just fine with what I spend in time and money. I sometimes get the 'WT* look' when I tell him how much stuff costs but then I remind him it's cheaper than therapy. Works for us :) He has said he needs a hobby too and showed me a picture of a Porsche race car - for a second I did think that if he spent $80k on a car surely I would get to spend a lot more on my tank....then financial reality hit me. Oh well.

Petronivich

My girlfriend doesnt mind the tank, wont help in any way other than over feed the fish... The argument is "how would I like it if I wasn't feed every night..." other than that she is ok as long as has a purple fish so I got two royal grammars, keeps her happy :)

Sent from my LT15i

ReefFrenzy

My wife is one of those rare wives that supports everything I do and she actually pushed me deeper into the hobby and business. Anytime you find a woman that will grind up fish parts and help you make food.....you keep her!!

The problem is she has never met a Lionfish or Angler that she didn't want to bring home. We had an arguement (not really) at the LFS one night when she saw a 2.5" Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish that she wanted. I replied "Honey that fish will eat anything it can fit in his mouth in short order and we have no tank for him where he won't harm the others."

She then said the classic line to which there is no male rebuttal... "But...YOU get every fish you want at the store and this is the first fish I have asked for in a long time, and your gonna tell me no?!?"

And so it goes we left with a bag full of water and a Fuzzy Lion. That my friends is how you end up with a tank in every room in your house.....seven and counting..all SW.

Even my dog is starting to become addicted and know what it means when he sees an air hose and our acclimating container.... NEW FISH MOMMA WANTED INBOUND :woohoo:

Larry

B31449EE-FEC5-41F2-8781-0C12A14A0BBF-368-000000D54019FC60.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I didn't get to vote on the poll but I see comments are till posting. My hubby does not care what I do as long as I don't make him listen or look at what I'm doing. He is also clueless as to what I spend on SW....as I am almost as clueless as to what he spends on guns. At least he gets them wholesale. :fishy2: :guns:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I didn't get to vote on the poll but I see comments are till posting. My hubby does not care what I do as long as I don't make him listen or look at what I'm doing. He is also clueless as to what I spend on SW....as I am almost as clueless as to what he spends on guns. At least he gets them wholesale. :fishy2: :guns:

We're in a similar boat. My hubby supports me because it makes me happy, but he really doesn't care that I found a stomatella snail or that my water parameters are awesome. He just likes to watch the fish as he walks by. Then again, he knows not to barrage me with info about his knife/sword collection. He bought me my tank for Christmas and I got him a sword. It works! lol!

ccrocks

26 years and counting. I had a SW tank in my appt. when I met her and many in between now I am in the process of upgrading to a 245 gallon tank. She will go to LFS and walk around and look at corals all day, but I know it's not really her thing so I try to do it sparingly. By the way i will dress shop with her and never say a word except that looks beautiful on you or lets try one more place down the road. It's give and take and neither of us count whose ahead and that is why we are going for 27.

p.s. with me in SW we all know who is ahead.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
We are all in it together!! Granted, they are not as insane about it as me, but my wife is super supportive!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Yesterday, my husband called me into the tank room. I walked over asking what was wrong. He pointed at my jawfish and said the dreaded words, "I think he has ich." Now, my husband is not the tank keeper, but he's seen ich before on my freshwater fish so he knows the signs. I entice the jawfish out of his hole with some food. Nothing. No white spots. I breathe a sigh of relief and leave him puzzled in front of the tank saying, "I swear! It was on his fins!" Ten minutes later, he calls me back to the tank (who's the enthusiast now???) saying it's back again. This time, I see it too and I point out that it's just a bit of substrate sticking to his fin. He is a digger, ya know! It made me laugh how much concern he showed for my jawfish. He totally cares - gotcha!!