Thank you

Ryan DAD

Great to be involved with such excellent group of people. I just started the hobby to have an something to do with the kids. All advice is welcome!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello *Wave* and welcome Ryan DAD
First of all congrats for asking the BEST possible question you can when starting out. The more you research, know and understand before you get started the better off you, your tank and your purse will be. It's easy to make a LOT of mistakes early on.

Please know that what works for one particular tank may or may not work just the same (or at all) in your set-up. There are bad ways of doing things, good ways and then of course there's Allens way LOL! Just kidding!

Spend some time at our LFS's and ask questions as you see things. Look online and ask lots of questions just remember a LOT of what you read online can be "iffy". Take it all with a grain of salt and research Research RESEARCH!!

One of the single most important aspects of ANY part of Salt Water (Fish Only/FO, Fish Only with Live Rock/FOWLR or a full blown Reef) is learning the Nitrogen Cycle from every point of view. It's intricately linked to everything happening in the tank and the more you know about it from the beginning the better equipped you are to recognize and deal with any "Cycle" issues.

When it's time to buy I like to tell people to buy the largest tank that:
(Larger IS better with SW tanks.... more water volume = more stable environment = easier to take care of)

• * A) Will fit in your living space
  • * B) That you can comfortably maintain
  • * C) That you can afford to buy AND Maintain.

Once you've picked out the tank and start looking into equipment think/plan Long-Term. Try to look at other tanks and see what you think you'd like yours to look like in a year or so and buy/build according to that plan.

When you DO buy equipment don't skimp. Saving a few dollars on "Life Preserving" equipment isn't the best place to save money. Many times with SW equipment (up to a certain degree) you get what you pay for. Ask around and try to get things that others are using and LIKE!!

Research each and every live-stock before buying. There are so many combinations of animals that it's very easy to puts things in these little glass boxes that wont get along LONG term.

Last but not least.... go slow. This hobby is one of patience (and lots of it). If you don't have it you'll be taught it and possibly the hard (insert money sounds here) way. The oceans where we get our animals are VERY stable and predicable and that's how the animals in them are designed. Everything needs to happen slow and on IT'S pace not ours. I like to tell people " You RUSH it... you CRASH it"!

Again welcome to the forums and please don't hesitate to ask questions. We enjoy helping each other out!!

Sincerely,
Allen

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I agree with Big Al. A larger tank is less work.

When setting up, get a good lighting system, get a good skimmer, get an RO/DI unit. If you cut corners on these you will end up paying for it down the road, in either livestock or replacing perfectly good equipment. These three items are investments.

After many years in the hobby, I still see things for the first time. I have an invert growing in my tank and I haven't a clue what it is. It never gets old

I have a friend who does this with his boys and they have a great time with it. Welcome to RS

Hello *Wave* and welcome Ryan DAD
First of all congrats for asking the BEST possible question you can when starting out. The more you research, know and understand before you get started the better off you, your tank and your purse will be. It's easy to make a LOT of mistakes early on.

Please know that what works for one particular tank may or may not work just the same (or at all) in your set-up. There are bad ways of doing things, good ways and then of course there's Allens way LOL! Just kidding!

Spend some time at our LFS's and ask questions as you see things. Look online and ask lots of questions just remember a LOT of what you read online can be "iffy". Take it all with a grain of salt and research Research RESEARCH!!

One of the single most important aspects of ANY part of Salt Water (Fish Only/FO, Fish Only with Live Rock/FOWLR or a full blown Reef) is learning the Nitrogen Cycle from every point of view. It's intricately linked to everything happening in the tank and the more you know about it from the beginning the better equipped you are to recognize and deal with any "Cycle" issues.

When it's time to buy I like to tell people to buy the largest tank that:
(Larger IS better with SW tanks.... more water volume = more stable environment = easier to take care of)

• * A) Will fit in your living space
  • * B) That you can comfortably maintain
  • * C) That you can afford to buy AND Maintain.

Once you've picked out the tank and start looking into equipment think/plan Long-Term. Try to look at other tanks and see what you think you'd like yours to look like in a year or so and buy/build according to that plan.

When you DO buy equipment don't skimp. Saving a few dollars on "Life Preserving" equipment isn't the best place to save money. Many times with SW equipment (up to a certain degree) you get what you pay for. Ask around and try to get things that others are using and LIKE!!

Research each and every live-stock before buying. There are so many combinations of animals that it's very easy to puts things in these little glass boxes that wont get along LONG term.

Last but not least.... go slow. This hobby is one of patience (and lots of it). If you don't have it you'll be taught it and possibly the hard (insert money sounds here) way. The oceans where we get our animals are VERY stable and predicable and that's how the animals in them are designed. Everything needs to happen slow and on IT'S pace not ours. I like to tell people " You RUSH it... you CRASH it"!

Again welcome to the forums and please don't hesitate to ask questions. We enjoy helping each other out!!

Sincerely,
Allen

Good write up AL!!!! :)

Welcome to RS!

Having a home aquarium can be a great and rewarding experience. With basically having an on-going science project in your own home! Your kids will enjoy all the aspects of having a tank including fish watching.

You will enjoy going to the LFS and picking out new specimens to put in your aquarium. As well as talking to all of us here on RS! I hope you have a great time on our hobby and again...

:welcomera To The Club!