Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Other (please post below)

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Woodstock said:
Those of you that test for iodine... what test kit do you use? I use salifert but I can never get a decent reading. There are so many steps to perform and I always feel rushed. :rolleyes:

anyone?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I don't test for it nor add it the the tank and since it's very difficult to test for I believe RHF recommends Iodide instead of Iodine.

Finally, for those interested in dosing iodine, I suggest that iodide is the most appropriate form for dosing. Iodide is more readily used by some organisms than is iodate, and it is detected by both currently available iodine test kits (Seachem and Salifert).

Witfull

i test the water for wetness everyday,,,LOL...its so hard to keep my hands out of it. i think i have a high osmostic salt need.

BigReepher

Witfull said:
i test the water for wetness everyday,,,LOL...its so hard to keep my hands out of it. i think i have a high osmostic salt need.
LMAO! I seldom test water parameters anymore. I'm doing it now, give me a sec. This is what I test for, usually only when something doesn't look right.
PH 8.1
dKH 10.6
Ca 400
Mg 0
NO3 0
PO4 0
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79.2

Gina

RS STAFF
Mark is usually the tester in our house. Most of our test kits are Salifert but, the kit he uses for testing Iodine & Iodide is a Seachem. I will admit we don't test as often as we should.

Looking at the instructions for the Seachem kit testing for Iodine & Iodide doesn't look too complicated. You need to prepare your Iodide Reagent with Distilled water first then continue on with the rest of the steps which look like 4 more.

niagara135

I find the best test kit are the corals themselves. I have a torch coral which is a good indication of what is going on in the tank, ie salt too high. As time goes on and I really sink some money into more and expensive corals I will probably break down and get a test kit.

Dragon Wrasse

Temp. and salinity (because they go hand in hand), NO2, NO3, PH and Calcium. all test are done Monthly or when somthing isn't looking right.

CAReefer

Ph continually monitored.
CA, Alk and Mg checked weekly
Sg checked and adjusted weekly with water change.
Phosphates checked every 2 weeks.

More often if any signs of distress or algae on glass.

Marshal

Reefstick

The first reef tank I put together was a 12G nano..... So, I have no idea what you are talking about; TESTING?????? what's that!!!!!!
LOL

I got burned out on testing, so now I only test with the corals are looking odd.

I do test Calcium though very often because I an still putting it in manually.

Witfull

its funny how Veteran reefers can tet by eye~

waterchanges are the best test...they seem to fix everything right up~

herb

i test for salinity daily, but other tests at the end of week just b4 water change! I feel that that way my results are always worst case!

herb

acer

I hadn' t tested my Ph in awhile as it had been sooo good for months- Tested yesterday with the same red sea kit and it was 8.6 yikes!!! bought a new kit ( salifert) today and will test tomarrow- hopefully it is the kit. If not the kit - It explains why some of the corals look " off" . Have read that Kalk dosing can cause this. WIll have to add some selzer/soda water if the PH is high.