• Strontium

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Other (please post below)

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I left out ammonia and nitrIte since those are only tested during a cycle period/crash.

I test every few months for Ca, Alk, salinity, No3, PO4, and Mg. I have a PH monitor so that gets tested constantly ;)

Please let us know your testing regimen!! :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
You reefers that are choosing "OTHER" need to let us know what it is you test for~

jimeluiz

While I still test weekly, with few exceptions, I am more and more glancing at the tank and making my assessment based on the appearance of all inhabitants.

When I first started in the hobby two years ago (wow, time flies) I was sceptical of those who insisted they "could tell by looking at the tank" when things were off. Now I understand that I know my tank well enough to notice even the slightest change going on in there.

But like Kim -- I like testing!

Ultimately I have become more relaxed about leaving the tank for a long weekend.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I test salinity weekly, cal/alk every couple of weeks and nitrates every few months since I have a regular W/C schedule and they stay real low I'll just check them for peace of mind.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I can honestly say I do not test anymore. The only test kits I own are my corals, they tell me when somethings wrong. If nothing looks happy, I do a waterchange, if nothing changes within 24-48 hours, I will take my water to the LFS where they'll do Ca, Ph, trates, trites, amm, and alk. I haven't had to do that yet tho, since I haven't had any problems in about a year.

corvettephreek

i voted other, but i now see that nitrates and ammonia dont count.... i think they do, but i test to make sure.

PH
ammonia
Nitrates
Nitrites
Phosphates
Calcium
and of course, taste. :D

Dakota

i only test for ca and alk about every 2 weeks mag about every month or 2 may test ph every great once in a while. never test for ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

bourganaes

I like to test salinity 2 or 3 times a week- PH weekly and the rest only occasionly as long as everyone in my tank seems happy

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Hummm...Well if $1000= falls in my lap...I will try it Woody! :rolleyes: Not likely, but I can think about it? Why spend that kind of money? I taste my tank water for all these test, works much better, I do this for a small fee if anyone is interested... :bigbounce

I test weekly salinity, alk, and Calcium. Nitrates and pH on a monthly basis.

Cheers!
:columbo:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Funny Rodger :tongue: Did Witfull teach you that taste-test?? hehehe

I would love to have that tester... that's my kind of toy~~ :)

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
No he did not, but maybe we can put our heads together?...One common result I do tell people when I taste the water..."Yep This is salty!" :yup:

Cheers!
:rolleyes:

dobejazz

I used to test weekly I have fallen off and now only test before I add a new fish or coral or if someone is not doing well. My question is when is the best time to test before a waterchange or after or does it even matter when you test?

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Hummm....I do not think before would be accurate...after would be better...You are going to be changing the water chemistry in the change....You could do it before and after though to get an idea what the change is doing to your tank depending on the items you test for...

Cheers!
:columbo:

Yarr

I test weekely as a rule. and usually more ofetn if i am concerned about anything. Good fact based knowledge is the cornerstone for any decision to be made about anything.

Plus.. I like th epretty coloured water :D

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Dobejazz I test before a water change and after that gives you a base to see if the water change helped or something else is wrong

I test sanlinity every outher day and all the outher stuff about twice a month

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Those of you that test for iodine... what test kit do you use? I use salifert but I can never get a decent reading. There are so many steps to perform and I always feel rushed. :rolleyes:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Woody

Check this out: The Hach DR/890 Colorimeter

Not really :D It will work for very few test. A number of the tests YOU will have to make up seawater stds, ie. the NO3- test. Many keep forgetting that tests in FW do not always work in SW correctly or give "error" readings. This is usually due to ions, such as the high levels of Cl-, mostly, and NA+, K +, Mg ++, Ca ++. That Cl- ion messes with lots of things :( The PO4 test works fine :)