Testing Test Kits

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Interesting :read: thanks for sharing
370.gif

StirCrayzy

Good read, i feel better about my API Kit, but it sure looks like too much variation between kits.
even the expired kits sometimes were closer than the unexpired high end kits.

I wonder what scientific standard the kit mfgrs use to validate a kit.

DaveK

Keep in mind that all the test kits being looked at are what should be considered "hobby grade". In other words, accept them as a guideline, but don't expect them to be that good. Also, you can expect to see them go bad and not work. This is why if you get a problem reading you should first confirm using another test kit.

You can get better grade test kits such as LaMotte, but expect to spend a lot more money for them, and in most cases, you don't need them.

DaveK

I agree with you Dave, this is why my next batch of Test kits I want to try LaMotte.

Thank you. Have you prices LaMotte test kits? They can be very expensive. Here is one example (offsite links) -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EIYBS4/?tag=reefsanc-20
Amazon.com: Seachem MultiTest Phosphate Test Kit: Pet Supplies

Note that the LaMotte test kit is $81.99, verses $13.13 for the SeaChem test kit. The LaMotte kit is 6 times the price!

So what you do is get LaMotte test kits when you have something that's got to be just right, and not just show a trend. Use they hobby grade test kits for everything else.

Don't spend money you don't need to.