Test kits - Red Sea Pro vs Seachem Reef vs Hanna, etc.

smcore

I'm looking to purchase test kits (Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphate, Magnesium, etc.) for what will become my new reef tank (Red Sea Max 250 purchased here in Canada) , and am wondering which brand of various test kits appear to give the most accurate and consistent results... Red Sea Pro, Seachem Reef test kits, D-D, Elos, etc. (and isn't so complicated it requires an NASA rocket scientist to come in and perform the tests). I would love to get the Hanna Digital checkers. The get very good reviews on the net... but I can't justify the price... $60 for each checker with only 15 tests (for the Calcium checker for example), then another $30 for an additional 25 tests. Maybe I'm wrong, but the prices for the Hanna Checkers and refills seem high/excessive. It would cost $90 for 40 tests with the Hanna Calcium Checker (including the checker), vs $30 for 75 Calcium tests with Red Sea Pro, vs $30 for 150 Calcium tests with the Seachem Reef Status Calcium kit.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I used API and then switched to Salifert and am much happier. They make it easier determine the results which at times was difficult to determine with API.

N83259

Salifert are excellent. I consider API very reliable, but yes, the colors at the low end of the nitrate & phosphate tests can look somewhat similar, but are great at telling you if something changes suddenly. If using API, it's best to look at the test results under the same kind of very bright, full spectrum light every time.

I've decided to go with a high end LaMotte kit for 'trates & 'phos on my next dry goods order. These kits can measure a fraction of 1 ppm. They're not cheap but should cost under $1 per test, which I'm OK with. I have largely tamed the large algae outbreaks, but still am getting a small amount of cyano & bypr. since I must feed heavily (sun corals, dendros, non photosynthetic gorgonians).

ToeSloth

I don't have the link handy but there was just a really good video review done on the bulk reef supply site. Just another opinion I guess. They liked the new Red Sea kits a lot and better than other similar options. The Hanna they liked best obviously for ease of use.

Best,

Chris