Test kit and color of room light

20nano

Based on the readings in my test kit, i had 2 results each time. Does any one know the exact lighting i should use to allow me to read the results? With my refugium 5500k light, i get a reading of 8.8 and with my normal room light at the 3500k, i get 8.4.....wat should i base it on? I need to adjust my pH as soon as possible. I've been getting a pH of abougt 8.2 and out of nowhere it reads 8.4 but also 8.8 when i read it under the 5500k...any input would help guys thanks!! One more, how do i lower pH???

steved13

PREMIUM
You might be able to contact the test kit manufacturer and ask them what kind of light their kit reads best.

I look for the light that most closely renders the same hues as the kit. In other words if one light seems to wash out the sample where it is far off all the color choices, or one light tends to make the sample more yellow, then I try a different light, until I find the closest match.

You need to check your calcium and magnesium levels also, there is a balance of all 3. You may find 1 is low, and when you adjust it, it brings your pH back where it belongs.

20nano

yeah, i just ordered the test API test kit from amazon. I only have pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate right now. Ordered the rest and hopefully receive it this week.

softreef

I have API for Alk and Calc and use normal over head light against a white back ground i.e. wall, door etc.

jpsika08

You should get a controller with a Ph Probe, now they are very common and you can have lots of benefits with it, just a thought.

It's a hassle guessing on colors.

mbdave

I always use a white piece of paper to hold the test against. Also always try to be consistant on light and method that is actually pretty important.

20nano

Ya, been using a white wall as my background behind the color card with the tube over it. I want to try other methods because i'm tired of dripping fluids in the API tubes haha, they keep dripping out when u shake it. Shooty caps thats why. During the day I get a reading of 8.2 and before the light goes off either 8.4 or 8.8 which I know is excessively high!!

jpsika08

8.8 is maybe to high, but 8.4 it's still under normal params, maybe on the limit but still normal.

Check your Alkalinity, sometimes if it's too low it can make the PH go up / down during the day.

20nano

for some reason on that specific day, i read 8.8 dunno why. Its been 8.2 in the morning and 8.4 before i turn off the night for the past 2 days now. Maybe i added an extra drop without knowing or something. it says compare the color of the tube laying it down along the white part of the color chart and compare. I guess thats the thing with these paper color matching testers, a bit off but can still make out if its WAY off or something. Its good now.

Bought a Karon Angel today for 30 bucks and got home to realize i was too fascinated by its beauty to know that it was reef-unsafe. Luckily i posted it on craigslist and someone called me 10 minutes after and came pick it up at night!! Hopefully he doesn't have a reef.

20nano

Also, my protein skimmer just started going beserk, overfilling with dark gunky brown water every day. Is it because the diatom is finally going away?
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate 0