tenting my house for termites in Miami

astiesi

Supposedly the gas that is used will not diffuse into the water. I have had a house tented with a FW tank and I can tell you that everything pulled through just fine. I cannot comment on if the gas would effect a reef/SW tank at all.

The biggest thing I would be concerned about is heat as the electricity much be turned off, meaning no A/C in Miami will translate into a 90+ degree house. I believe we did it in the winter. Hopefully somebody who needed to tent a house with a SW tank will drop by and comment.

My worst fear,... and reason I bought a concrete home, (Knowing it would be filled with reef tanks).
Let me know how you make out-Dave

Frankie

RS STAFF
What you can do is a few things. First off you can seal the tank in plastic wrap with an air line and pump feeding it from outside. I have done this when bombing for fleas a few years ago. I would also recommend turning off your protein skimmer so you do not inject any air from the inside. Keep the lights off to prevent heat build up. Turn off any pumps for flow to keep heat build up to a minimum also. Maybe one power head pointed at the surface for a bit of flow and oxygen exchange. That's all I can think of right now. You should be good to go.

DAHansen

I have two suggestions - neither terribly wonderful.

1. Tent the aquarium. Duct tape and a tarp to seal it up. Battery powered air pumps outside the house and big tent with loooooong air hoses to provide O2 and water circulation. (Or a BIG scuba tank on a slow bubble. You can rent them!)

2. Break down the tank into buckets and bins and keep it all out of the house for the tenting.

That's all I got. Though I don't honestly know how safe/unsafe the chems are for reef/sw tank inhabitants.

This is what I would do:

- You could also run the air line to your skimmer outside after you sealed the aquarium off.

- Anyone you know of with an inline chiller? You could locate the chiller outside and run some flexible hose/PVC pipe from a pump in your tank to the chiller.

- Big ol' bag of carbon just in case

God bless,
chris