Tell me about Phosban Reac.

zy112

... Tell me about Phosban reactors. I have never used these but am interested. First, do you use one. Can you tell a positive effect by using them. What brands are good, and how do they work (as far as set-up). I was just pondering using one when I set-up my 29 to contol "nano" parameters to hopefully more steady conditions.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have two phosban reactors (TwoLittleFishes). One has phosban media and the second has carbon. One maxijet powerhead pushes water through both.
The phosban keeps the phosphate levels way down which prevents algae from growing.
The carbon adsorbs organics, chemicals that the leather corals emit into the water, and yellowing substances that cloud the water.

zy112

Thanks WS I understand the concept of phosban and activated carbon but wasnt sure if it was as usefull as they say they are; well at least the phosban I already run carbon. Thanks for the reply and info.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Phosban helps keep the po4 levels down. That is always a good thing :) Try testing your water for po4 before and then a few weeks after setting up the phosban reactor.

sebastian

i have 2 little fish too, very good, inexpensive, and it works great.....make sure you set the flow right so it's not to much and media in reactor are not "bubbling" because they can grind too much and it's not good...the flow is recomended to be slow so water can pass thru the media not around them.... mine is installed in sump after protein skimmer and outlet is in return pump section

Frankie

RS STAFF
I stopped useing my phos reactors for phos media. I only use them both for carbon now.