Tanuki's RSM 500-S Build

Tanuki

Hello everyone! In Feb of 2013 I set this tank up and ran it for about 6 months before moving from Salt Lake City back to my home state of Oregon. The tank was taken down, cleaned up, and stored for the past two years.

In April I finally bought a home, so now I am getting the tank going again! So far the only MAJOR issue I am having is that the skimmer pump isn't working. It is weird because it used to work fine and really has only been run for 6 months! So I guess I will just have to buy a new Skimmer. I am looking to do either a Vertex 180i or Reef Octopus Regal 200. If any of you have experience with either, please let me know. Also, if anyone can think of something simple that may bring my old skimmer pump back to life, I would prefer that.

The tank is pretty stock, but I have changed a few things:
Vortech MP-40
Big Chiller (I forget which, I need to take photos)
Big UV Sterilizer (also forget the name/ brand)
I also did a hard line for the return pump. I will post some photos of those bits when I am home again.

Here are a few pics from when I first had it running:
556d1650787f11e29a3e22000a1f90ce_7.jpg

fd0183a68eaa11e2b42122000a9d0ed9_7.jpg

And what it looks like now:
11072908_821213864621119_4184527267951880337_o.jpg

11270332_815307241878448_3477034076024185686_o.jpg

Tanuki

thank you! I went bare bottom this time. I may add sand still, but I have some other plans for the ground. This is that annoying stage of a tank, starting over lol.

Tanuki

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the reef Octopus regal 200 sss today. When it came down to it, it seemed the best choice and should fit in my available footprint.

It's fun doing this tank being on a lot more of a budget than the last time I did it. Really helps me take my time.

I had to bite the bullet on a skimmer though. One of the most important pieces of equipment imo.

Diemaker

tank looks great as always I love the clean look of the red sea tanks.
You will love that skimmer mine took a day or two to break in and pulls a lot of junk out I added the neck cleaner to mine which is amazing. I only clean the cup every 6-8 weeks.
Just make sure you lift the unit out of the water to the correct height I think it's 8" of water

It will work fine in full water just seems to be finicky to setup.

modulok

Why did you go with the Reef Octopus over the Vertex? I was looking at upgrading skimmer and was looking at the Vertex 150, but unsure it was too small for RSM500.

Can't wait to see pics in the sump and your results with it.

Tanuki

Why did you go with the Reef Octopus over the Vertex? I was looking at upgrading skimmer and was looking at the Vertex 150, but unsure it was too small for RSM500.

Can't wait to see pics in the sump and your results with it.
Thank you to everyone.

I went with the octopus honestly because of reviews and the controller it comes with. Everything I read was really close on them but the reef was like $20 more so I went for it.

Oxylebius

Nice start. Great location for the tank. Not sure how to trouble-shoot skimmers, I'm not tech savvy or a DIY-type person. I know way more about the critters and chemistry then tech stuff.

Tanuki

Hey sorry for the delayed response. I have been waiting for the skimmer to arrive. It came yesterday, so I took it on as my project today.

I forget the footprint dimensions, but it was supposed to be able to fit in my sump. I quickly found out it was about a quarter inch too big. I ended up cracking one of the baffles, so I decided it was time to operate.

After a bit of McGuivering, I knocked out the baffle and was back in business.

I am still playing with the settings and break in, but this seems like a really high quality skimmer. It had better be for the price lol.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
http://distilleryimage6.instagram.com/556d1650787f11e29a3e22000a1f90ce_7.jpg

If you can get the image url - just add this syntax around it

zIMG]http://xxxxxxxxxxx[/IMG]

1st bracket [ replaced with a z ^ so you can see

hope this helps - look forward to the pics -

Also might look for the Photobucket app that makes this real easy from a phone, they have it for iphones & android

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photobucket-backup-print-shop/id314439840?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.photobucket.android&hl=en

Tanuki

Thanks!

I guess I really am moving slow on this tank. I have not purchased anything until today. I have started with some LPS and another fish.

Rainbow acan. Assorted zoa rock. Desjardini tang. Branching hammer coral. Acan echinata.