TankGirls's Beautifull Tank

Playa

"Luis, the tank is 72x18x24, so I guess it's actually a 130 - What did you mean about a 120 vs. a 125? Would I'd be sorry getting this instead of a 120?
The 18' width isn't ideal, I know, but in order to get away from that, wouldn't I have to have a custom tank built?"

tg no need to have it custom build, the 120 is 24 inches deep(that is standard for a 120)much much better than 18 inches if you plan to do a reef again. tg the other thing I would suggest is to do glass this time. The 120 is a terrific size for a reef, if 180 is to much.

Luis

tankgirl

Hi Luis! Thanks for your quick answer. Yeah, this one's glass. Should have listened to you the first time you told me that :D .
It's not reef plumbed but I think I can get that done locally. I'll probably have a stand custom-built, but am gonna wait to see the stand Jeeps has first. I'm supposed to pick it up Sunday morning.
So, as long as it's 24" deep I'll be ok?
Thanks so much, again!

Last edited:

tankgirl

Hi sharks! Thanks, too for the quick reply. This came up very sudden, so I didn't get time to think it thru or ask. Yeah, the 180 would be too big, I think, just don't want that 30" depth anymore - it's nice for the fish but not too nice for me.

sharks

Contributing Member
Short people got no reason....
Short people got no reason....
j/k but that song is now in my head :D

I think 72" x 24" x 24" will be a custom job.
So the 72 x 18 x 24 (125) is the closest you will get
S

tankgirl

Sharks, Hah! Don't start with that song, you'll get me going. I don't think I'm short just avg (5'5"), but my arms are only 24" long. Plus, a lack of biceps here. Well, I feel better, now - sounds like it's about the right size for me.

So, it'll definitely need 3 mh's right?

Playa

tg the 180 is standard at 72x24x24

And yes I insist that if you can possibly get a 24 inch deep(that being a 120 or a 180 standard) please do it, you will see why when you start setting all you water movement and your Aquascape(and you are an expert at that)

Regardless of your choice tg I know you will have a beautiful reef.

Luis

sharks

Contributing Member
Thanks for the correction Luis ;)

So, it'll definitely need 3 mh's right?

Yes for every 2 feet of length you will need 1 MH
4' = 2 MH's
and
6' = 3 MH's
Every MH covers about 2x2
S

tankgirl

Luis, Thanks!!! You've always been a great friend and an inspiration! :)

Sharks, Thanks!!! And ditto!! Your encouragement and friendship are the best!

Hey, jg!! Thanks and good to see you!!!

Dennis7

Tankgirl,
Definitely go with the 24" depth. The extra 6" front to back makes a world of difference. I went from a 90 to 120 and couldn't be happier.

tommyp

In my utter electrical stinginess I have been thinking about a 60"x24x25 and running two halides over the whole thing. I know that halides strech 2' but 30" each isn't that much more. Even With not so creative aquascaping you could make it work.

Oceanic makes this tank as a custom it is a 155. I am sure it is costly if you wanted it reef ready but it would cost @$700 in acrylic I believe. I know you don't want acrylic though.

Just a thought

T

Craig Manoukian

20"T tank is way easier to clean if your arm only reaches 24", esecially with a bare bottom ytank. A 22"T tank would be a good compromise, eh?

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

wooddood

the wood dude
tg i have a 120 48x24x24 and it's perfect.since i moved it to an in wall setup the 24 inch depth looks even larger now.go with the 120 you'll love it.

tankgirl

Thanks Dennis, Tom, Craigy, Clint and WD!
Oops, too late - I drove out to Las Vegas this morning and picked up Dane's 125. But, I was thinking, if the tank was 2' deep and 2' tall, I wouldn't be able to reach the bottom-back. I'm really serious about being able to reach everything! :rolleyes: But, in a year everyone can say "We told you so!". :D
So, I'm gonna call tomorrow about getting it reef ready.
Anyone know where I can get a 6' long pendant housing and reflectors? I think I'd like to go back to pendants instead of a canopy. With the pendants the tank stayed fairly cool, but with the canopy, the chiller is on all the time. Plus, the pendants are a lot easier for me to lift.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Should I go for dual OFs at the two ends or one in the center. Should I put in a spraybar this time?

Thanks, in advance!!
:)

kentracey

Wow!! Absolutely breathtaking. I hope someday I can achieve that level of excellence. Thanks for the inspiration.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey TG! Are you going to have it drilled for closed loop? May have missed that in a reply but don't know!

If you do have some holes drilled about 3" from the bottom in the back and have locline segment put on with a male adaptor and will be able to aim the water flow to keep detritus off the bottom of the tank.

I guess I should have asked are you going BB or shallow SB?:)