tanked the show,, read on!

basabbc

I dont blame the guys on tanked for clients who dont know what they are getting into. The clients really need to see this as a hobby and spend dedicated time and effort to take care of tanks that were put in place. If you dont take care of tanks and then complain saying there were algae issues or things started dying, it not the fault of the tanked guys .

Dont get me wrong, i have visited their showrooms and seen some of their projects , they do put lot of work in the tanks that they construct, some ideas may be radical than others, but the equipment they use are all top grade ones. And i do believe that what they show in the episodes is months in making than just 2 weeks of so.

However having said all the above, if i have a tank and dont take care of it or dont do prep work to keep it running, it basically my fault, irrespective of whether i build my tank for $5K or buy from any one else for $30K.

Steve L

The Rainforest Cafe on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco has what I believe is one of their tanks, or it's like one they regularly build. I've been there with my family several times over the last 10 years and it's primarily a predator tank with extremely large examples of dozens of species. I'm just guessing but it must be around 2,000 gallons, all fake coral and overcrowded as hell. There are always sick looking fish and nothing other than some algae sticking to the plastic coral for the fish to graze on between feedings. They must keep a separate tank with replacement fish because there are always several near death, and it always appears somewhat cloudy.

Here are pictures of it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3236/2470556815_3a7e8575ce_o.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5816414180_b89ec631fe.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lAqsZhTEaxI/TyvRlGN9lwI/AAAAAAAAArM/bcfdzhZKA_M/s640/USA+608.jpg

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
The Rainforest Cafe on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco has what I believe is one of their tanks, or it's like one they regularly build. I've been there with my family several times over the last 10 years and it's primarily a predator tank with extremely large examples of dozens of species. I'm just guessing but it must be around 2,000 gallons, all fake coral and overcrowded as hell. There are always sick looking fish and nothing other than some algae sticking to the plastic coral for the fish to graze on between feedings. They must keep a separate tank with replacement fish because there are always several near death, and it always appears somewhat cloudy.

Here are pictures of it.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3236/2470556815_3a7e8575ce_o.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5816414180_b89ec631fe.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lAqsZhTEaxI/TyvRlGN9lwI/AAAAAAAAArM/bcfdzhZKA_M/s640/USA+608.jpg

Rainforest has a full time marine biologist........From what I have seen of him, he is picky as hell. He is responsible for the upkeep on all the Rainforest tanks, not ATM.

Steve L

Rainforest has a full time marine biologist........From what I have seen of him, he is picky as hell. He is responsible for the upkeep on all the Rainforest tanks, not ATM.

ATM is never responsible for the upkeep of tanks they build, which was the point of many of the posts in this thread. They build elaborate tanks such as those at Rainforest Cafe without putting much thought into the maintenance.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Just curious if any of you guys ever watch Fish Tank Kings? They have issues too. One of which the tank in the casio in Florida that cracked.

Most of the ATM tanks have access from the top, under the canopies. The say place that they put the fish in.....The biggest problem that I see with a lot of them is the height......

basabbc

ATM is never responsible for the upkeep of tanks they build, which was the point of many of the posts in this thread. They build elaborate tanks such as those at Rainforest Cafe without putting much thought into the maintenance.

Steve, again, why should it be the problem of ATM, if i am buying a tank, i need to do my homework ask right questions and make sure that i satisfy myself before i splurge on it . either ATM or FTK or any other shows for that matter are in the game because of the shows. Do you think if for each and every show they build a rectangle one or a bow front one with 100 gallon or 200 gallon, the crowd is going to watch ??

Mike Johnson

You've hit on the exact reason I don't watch the show or any other "reality TV" show. Of course, I don't watch much TV at all, I consider most TV shows as bad input into my brain that I would be better off having not seen. And, a huge waste of my time.

anthony27

I live in NY and they have employed a local store who is shear ****** and I mean *******. This guy takes fish and coral and just plops them in the holding tanks and it smells like rotting fish in his store.

I have the frig tank, not that far from me. The tank has algie in it and half the fish are dead, they never do a follow up and their tanks and way they go about adding fish is a sin. I think fish tank kings go way out there with a coral specialest that can get the corals right on for the money that thesse people pay.

As for me I watch the turtle man and shelby the swamp man. I cant be bothered watching ppl mess up cause it frustrates me more.

yvr

Fish Tank Kings is a way better show when it comes to explaining fish selection, fish care and biology information. Francis the Fish Geek seems very knowledgeable and actually cares about the fish.

Steve L

Steve, again, why should it be the problem of ATM, if i am buying a tank, i need to do my homework ask right questions and make sure that i satisfy myself before i splurge on it . either ATM or FTK or any other shows for that matter are in the game because of the shows. Do you think if for each and every show they build a rectangle one or a bow front one with 100 gallon or 200 gallon, the crowd is going to watch ??

As a responsible pet owner, you would be the ideal client for somebody such as ATM to build for. But I wonder how many of those clients with more money than brains actually realize how much work is involved maintaining large tanks before they splurge? As I believe somebody mentioned earlier, I wonder how a show would do of their tanks 1, 3 or even 5 years after installation or if ATM would even allow it to air? If people such as us ran a company like ATM we would be equally as concerned for the long term health of the fish as the appearance of the tank, at least I would.