Tank turned 49 this year

Corailline

Re: Tank birthday, 40 years

Great tank. Your enthusiasm for the hobby is inspiring. Me I am just spring chicken going on 28 years of this obsession.

Congratulations on the birthday of your tank :)

Last edited:

Paul B

To update my tank seems to be doing wery well. The only thing I notice is that my 4 SPS corals are growing very fast as my LPS seem to be shrinking a little. This happens when you mix the two types of corals and I may start to introduce more SPS but I know what will happen to the LPS which I kind of prefer. At one time, years ago the tank was all SPS. I get bored and need to change it around every so many years.
The tank looks no where near what it looked like a couple of years ago before I lost most of the corals to a make up water problem but it looks pretty good, not as good as many tanks on here but it is the way I like it.
IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0876-1.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

richelowen

Has been struck by the ban stick

Thanks for posting more photos of your tank birthday.One thing Happy Birthday Tank for your Paul.It is great to be have a good picture.Good to see photos here.I like most of the colorful photos which have been posted on first.

Edison

Great looking tank & big congratulations on keeping it up and healthy for so long.

Do you use water from the LIS exclusively?
Or do you use LIS and salt mix?

Paul B

90% of the water is artificial. I only take Ocean or Sound water in the summer and only about 10 gallons.
I would use all real water but it is getting heavier every year.

Paul B

I know I have been saying this for months but I really need to remove all of the rocks and re aquascape. Due to some of the spawning fish and the dragon wrasse digging holes and re arranging everything all of the entire structure moved almost all the way to the front glass and I am having a hard time cleaning the glass or positioning the corals. The gorgonians are jammed against the front glass and I don't have room for anything. There is plenty of room in the back where I don't need it. I know I should have done this in the winter as now it is boating season and this will take all day.
If I ever do it I can also remove the dragon wrasse and give it away as it has grown too large and he has become a pain in the wrasse I will also stir the dolomite and clean it.
One problem is that I really like the aquascaping now and I know I will not be able to re create it. I always have a bunch of rocks left over when I do this. I also need to find tanks for all the corals. I guess I will also collect some water, pods and bacteria the next time I take out the boat as I have not added any of that since last year.
Oh the joy of reefing.

czeslaw93

40 years!! i dont think i have anything that is 40+ years old (except a fossil that i have)

czeslaw93

last time i cheeked i did no have you so no im not talking about you this is literally a fossil so unless you ar a 3" long millions of years old fish then it might be you however i hardly think that is likely as how would you have typed your previous post.

Congrats on 40 years thats amazing , I remember when I started in the mid 80's and every weekend I was stopping in at my LFS on Jamaica Ave in Woodhaven, I was killing fish every month, & had a hard time controlling parameters & algae. I thought I was the coolest when I found this hang on back filter with the DLS material and had to restart the syphon tubes with a piece of air line tubing, what fun! I even lost count on how many anenome's I imploded. This hobby has certainly come a long way in technology. good luck on another 40 years...

Paul B

It is doing very well, thank you for asking. I started a new thread about it because last month it turned 40 years old.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...-discussion/67344-tank-birthday-40-years.html
Of course it is not as nice as many of the tanks on here and it is mostly LPS corals but I just like them better. I only have 5 SPS corals now that seem to be growing well but with my lighting and very few water changes I am not sure if I could keep acropora, probably not. Whenever I get time I will build a LED lighting system, hopefully before I need to buy MH lights but I really don't see that happening until the winter as now it is boating season and that takes up all my time (and money)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers Paul - per your PM updated the year, merged the threads - Your tank and it's history has always been a huge inspiration for me & lots of RS members !

Paul B

Thanks Glen. I was just jerking around with my tank. I pushed back a lot of the rock so I can clean the glass but this is only temporary. I really need to remove most of the rock and re position it.
The tank is running well but needs a little maintenance, not much but a little.
It will never look like the fabulous SPS tanks on here, it is more of a lagoon biotope which is a lot less work. I have a few hardy SPS corals but I doubt I could keep Acropora in there unless I updated my lighting. I have plans to do that and build an LED system but I don't have time now but I am happy to be keeping what I have. I really like gorgonians and they seem to be growing like weeds. When pieces fall off I glue them someplace. I want the tank filled with them and it shouldn't take long to do that.
I also really need to get out that dragon wrasse before he realizes he can eat many of my smaller fish. He also digs too much.
I always would rather have many smaller, interesting, odd types of fish than a couple of larger fish.
It's just me.
If it ever stops raining I want to go to my boat and run my net along the dock to collect amphipods, copepods and bacteria, it has been quite a few months since I did that.