Tank turned 49 this year

Pat24601

I put some new rocks together today but couldn't finish the thing. It should be almost 3' long and will support my entire reef structure, or 3' of it anyway. I couldn't build the entire thing the way I wanted so i am just putting some large rocks together with stainless steel screws, epoxy and cement. I know a lot of people are afraid of stainless steel but those people are Sissy Snowflake Girly Men or maybe Ladies or little girls. :rolleyes: I love stainless steel and wish I could get all my rocks made out of the stuff.
I will have to try to finish it using only my left hand but I didn't figure out yet how I will drill the rocks with my feet or my left hand. I won't be able to use my right hand for 3 weeks but I need to get the thing done so I can soak it for a week or two before I move. I really want to get this thing done but I can't see how that will happen. Maybe i will just rubber band all the rocks together. :eek:

I am trying to get all the use out of my hand now before they operate so i am sitting near my window waving at all the people walking by.

I don’t see how it’s even possible to do that with one hand.

Paul B

OK Surgery over. All seems well and I can use one finger on my right hand because he put in a nerve block. But he put it in one hour and 59 minutes ago and it only lasts 2 hours so i may not be able to finish. The nurses were Fantas.........

Uh UH, it is wearing off. OUCH %$#&(@##$^ OUCH :crying:Thats all Folks.

Paul B

Thanks guys,
Hand surgery is really Sissy Girly Man surgery and I am almost embarassed that I had it. Man surgery is when they tear off your hand and send it out for repairs. upload_2018-5-7_18-22-1.gif
Grand Marnier and a pain pill works wonders :confused:

Paul B

The Dr. told me I can't lift anything heavier than a tea cup for 3 weeks due to the stitches going across my palm. :chainsaw: But I don't drink tea so I assume that doesn't apply to me. :) I tried to do some work on the rock structure I am building for the new tank and I mixed the cement with my left hand but had some trouble putting the cement on the rocks.. The rocks are heavy and to try to put them in position to be cemented is not easy with my right hand all bandaged up. I pre drilled the rocks and epoxied in stainless steel threaded rods before the surgery so I need to put cement on the parts that touch, then push the rocks together and smear more cement on. But this thing weighs about 10lbs now and I can't seem to get them to stay in position because I need to lift the entire thing, both parts and put bricks under it for support until the cement dries.

My foot doesn't quite reach up to the top of my garage workbench and I tasted the cement and it doesn't taste to good so I can't use my tongue. :yummy:

Paul B

It seems that some corals actually like nitrates of 160 and Phosphates of 2.0.
I have 2 duncans for quite some time and they both are smiling so much if they tilted their head, their brains would fall out. I tell that to my Grand Daughter, Greta and she slowly says "I am tilting my head".
They also eat live worms a couple of times a week.

I don't know exactly what this is but it seems to be some sort of gorgonian. It also seems very happy.

This is some sort of hard coral and grew in 6 months from a tiny frag. (thanks Andy, get me more)

I look for opportunities to put her picture up

Paul B

So yesterday for Mothers Day we went to our Daughters house in Manhattan to visit her and the Grand Kids. We had a nice, but noisy time and came home about 8:00pm. Before we got to our street we saw that the main road was closed with fire engines and police all over the place. I also couldn't help notice one of the power poles was on fire so I assumed that was bad. I am good like that. As I turned down our block I noticed it was very dark. We don't live in a cave and have street lights but they were all out. I got home and of course saw that my house was dark. The first thing I thought was OMG, my fish must be going crazy. Actually I didn't think of them at all as they have been through this many times and take care of themselves. Although I don't think they have their own generator.

I get inside and being I went to high school and everything I knew exactly where the flashlight is which I used to get to the basement and light a propane lantern.
Now I knew my wife was safe inside I walked up the block to check out the fire. It looked like there was a big short on the pole and the pole was almost burnt in half. It was also raining so maybe a sweaty squirrel or Eagle reached in between two wires and exploded. I am not sure.

I asked the guy on the pole how long until he restored the power and he said 2 hours. The power was already off for an hour so I figured I would drag the generator out. No, not for the fish, for the TV.
My friend was out there also and I asked him why he didn't start his generator and he said it wouldn't start.
He helped me drag out my machine because I have a palm full of stitches and I connected it to my gas pipe and the thing started right up as I knew it would. Now all my outside lights which I have in all the shrubs and trees lit up so it looked like Christmas in May.

Then I went to help him start his generator and after a few minutes I got it started. His wife was in the car on her cell phone as she is most of the time. He told me her biggest worry is if the phone goes out. I didn't even know where my phone was and if someone wanted to tell me something important, they could write me a letter. Like how important is a cell phone? I realize most people need the thing taped to their ear constantly in case they win the lottery, pick five or the Bachelor contest. I think it's great if the phone goes dead. For 30 million years we only had wooden cell phones and reception was terrible. We got along just fine.

Anyway, on my way back home across the street I notice my other neighbor trying to start his generator and he calls me.
I mean, Do I have a big sign on my head that says Home Depot?
Now I had to fix his machine. I start mine every few months as I do my power washer. Maybe it's me. But I told them all "Home Depot" is leaving soon so all you guys have to figure out how to do these simple things for yourself.
They just told me "I can't move"

Paul B

My house is a maze of boxes. I filled 7- 50 gallon cans so far with stuff I am throwing out just from my workshop. I have about 20 boxes of stuff from there that I am keeping. It's amazing the stuff you can amass in 40 years.
I can't touch the tank stuff yet because my new house is not finished. I kept my worm culture out as well as my brine shrimp hatchery because I want to feed the pipes and mandarins for as long as I can. They may not get live shrimp for a month due to me building stuff out there. I also have stuff to demolish because i don't like the way the builder designed a few things. I will move the door into my workshop and may move the furnace and water heater. I also need to move the washer and drier which means I have to move some gas pipes and exhaust hoses. I built most of my lights so I told the electrician not to install most of them. The day I move in I will put up some temporary lights. The place is mostly glass so I can't walk around in my Speedo until I install something on the windows. My neighbors may like that, OK, maybe not.
I won't have my RO/DI hooked up for quite some time as there is no water or drain near the tank. That is not a big priority so I will have to think about something in the mean time.
My boat is also in the water out there and it needs some attention before I can go out. Mostly maintenance and cleaning, filling with water, fluids etc. And I will need to get a GPS card for the Peconic bay as mine doesn't work there. It is for 60 miles away near Manhattan.

Paul B

A little while ago my door bell rang and I went upstairs to see who it was. It was this guy dressed in a bug exterminator uniform with a picture of a bug on it.
I told him I don't need any bug exterminators and I walked into my back yard. He follows me explaining how important it is to kill bugs and that his company is the best bug killing company and how they can tell a lady bug from a preying mantis and a moose from a duck billed platypus and I wasn't paying much attention.
So i turned around and this giant carpenter bee lands on his sleeve. It looked like a Blackhawk helicopter. The guy went nuts. He got the horrors and I thought he was going to have a coronary. Even the bug on his uniform was scared. I just flicked the thing off his sleeve but as it went away, it hit him in the face. I thought I was going to have to take him to the emergency room.

I said, " your not the guy who comes and kills the bugs, Are You?" :rolleyes:

Paul B

I have two big industrial machinists Vises, one on each workbench. I was going to leave them here for the new people and buy new ones, but I can't. I can't find an American Vise. I can't believe it that we don't make an American Vise and I don't buy tools from China, Well so far Amazon don't have any so I will just remove my old ones which are much better than what I can buy and mine are American. Probably also older then me, much older. :D

Squatch XXL

Anybody want this?
HOLY HELL.

I have the EXACT SAME PIECES on my board, but my board is 2 tone wooden. Another difference is that mine are White and Green...the same green however. I may have to find it and take a photo. It was a gift from my grandfather who I guess picked it up in mexico 40+ years ago. Purely awesome, and I am amazed that something like this exists. I may have a different style king, but aside from that, all the pieces look identical. Just wow.

Also, I am interested in more photos of the Little Mermaid.

Hope the hand gets better sooner then expected. I will keep you in my prayers.