• 83-84

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 84-85

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • above 85?

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

superman

Those that are having temp problems, what are you using for circulation pumps and a sump pump? An inefficient sump pump could be contributing to your temp problems as well. Are you using glass tops on your tank (if so take them off) What is your flow rate through the sump?
I would try and make your system more cooling efficient in other ways as well(as apposed to just using a ton of fans) in order to make the temp more predictable. Multiple in tank pumps used for circulation can contribute a ton of heat to a tank. If power consumption is not a big issue, maybe using a larger sump pump instead of multiple in tank circulation pumps would be a good option for you, this should cut down on the heat contributed by pumps. Are you using a sump pump that is out of sump? If not I would strongly encourage you to, and use one that is known to be a low heat contributor.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Very good points superman! I know for a fact that the pumps easily raise the tank temp 1deg each if not more. I would really like to have an external pump for my return but there is no room. I will marinate (hehe..i like that word ;) ) the idea of switching out my return pump for a larger one and maybe removing one of the 2 power heads in the display. I don't know if that would increase the 'noise' of the overflow though...hummm.....

Yarr

Definately worth looking at. Also you woudl setup a manifold for your return and rid your tank of powerheads all together :)

mopecula

PSU i have a 90 aga with 250mh and two vhos and the tank runs at 81 with lights on. i have four 3" fans on the hood and two 8" fans-one over sump and one behind tank. four fans operate on my heat/cooling controller to turn them on when need. the trick is i keep the room at 76 with the a/c works great.
Got to say you got some really good advice on this forum, great to know that people are willing to help when needed.

KimPossible

My tank runs about 81 with PC's.....But I'm in AZ. I've read this is optimal range for a reef tank....I'm gonna have to invest in a chiller when I up the lights.

I have a 90gal with two 400mh and 4 55w pc s .I keep the ac at 79 and my tank averages 80- lights on 78-lights off.I also have a cieling fan next to it so that might help..

forestal

ok, here's a new one for ya....installed reef keeper digital for preventing heater overload, and better timer for my lights...my temp is 74
very stable with lights on and off...installed another heater...
now i'm thinking maybe its not calibrated, so i'm gonna get another thermometer to check it

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Dan, I installed my Reefkeeper controller this weekend (love it!) I have 2 fans and one heater on the temp controller part. It works great... my temp stays at a steady 78 deg. +/- 0.5 deg :D

Make sure you crank the heater up a few degrees above your target...ie. set it at 80 if your shooting for 78. That way the controller will have 'control'.

Also, I calibrated the Reefkeeper's temp probe using my Pinpoint digital thermometer.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Reefkeeper Controller

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=17501&cat=366&page=1

ReefKeeperBox.jpg

ReefKeeperSystem.jpg

forestal

i have yet to calibrate it, my concern now is last night was at 78...so i may be having some serious temp swings...gonna calibrate and maybe just add a few heaters, have 750 watts, should be enough i think for a 120

i did crank them all up to 84 now that has a auto off

CAReefer

My temp is seasonal. Mostly for cost reasons. This time of year it runs 76 in the morning to 78 at the end of photo period. My chiller only runs if it gets warm outside. Summertime I set the chiller to 80, and the tank runs 79-81 degrees.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I kept my 90 gal. tank at 76-78 year round. I found that i had no algae troubles or diseases with the fish. Thank God for chillers :)

Icebox

I have been watching my tank stay in the 81-82 degree neighborhood. I need to finish the canopy... or should I say start my canopy, which will include a couple fans. I also have intentions of aiming a fan at the sump.

I am hoping that I will not have a need for mega fans or a chiller to keep the temp down this summer.

Snelly40

hey, all of a sudden my temp at night is going down to 75/76 and during the day it is back where it always was at 81 ish.
this just started happening after i installed the fuge. You guys have any tips, should a buy another heater maybe? but them im cautious cuz if i add more heat for the ngiht i feel like durring the day wil be too hot, but i guess i could just replace mine with a more powerful one or add one on a timer?

lcstorc

Most heaters allow you to set them for a certain temp. I would get another one or a bigger one and set for approx your daytime temp. Reefs do not like changes in temp so consistancy seems to be more important than the actual temp. At least that's what I am reading. LOL

blue_eyes53813

I would add another heater or up the temp on the one you have... Your lights might help up the temp during the day. Your heaters are set to low and the temp drops at night..