Tank repair

emo_1992

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I do have the need for some information and advice. I have an All-glass 45 gal. tall tank, I have had this tank for about 13 years. However during our last move the center support on the top cap was brocken the tank dimensions are 12"w X 36"l X 24"h. I have tried to contact all-glass to see about ordering a replacement cap, however the questions that I am posing is
1: should I repair the tank and if so where can I find a replacement top cap.
2: Replace the tank.
3: would it be safe to use without the center support.
The glass is on 1/4" thick (rough estimate) and I believe the only tempered piece is the bottom.

Thanks for your advice and help
Lynn

lcstorc

Well I am not much of a DIY person, but I would not use the tank at least as a display tank without the support. I might use it for a sump or something less critical, but for the display I would either find out how to replace it or I would just get a new tank.

emo_1992

I am of the same thought as well. I would hope that it would have been over engineered, However being a tall I dont want to take the risk of having all of my live stock in an unwanted swimming pool in my living room. The support is still there, it is just brocken about 3/4 of the way across. It might be able to be repaired, however I am unsure what to use so that I would have no worry of contamination in the future.

emo_1992

Sorry I should have included pics in the original post to help here they are.
top_shot1.jpg
[/IMG]
tankshot.jpg

Snelly40

i would get some strong plastic or metal and just epoxy some onto both sides, make sure its sturday and wall-la tank support is good as new :)

DeepBlue

Hi Emo!

I couldn't help but notice, but are those lift tubes for an undergravel filter I see in the pics? If so, you may want to remove the filter plate and all as it will become a nitrate factory in the future and can cause major problems for you. Just a word of advice. Good luck to you in the repair.

lcstorc

OK I called my husband who is a structural engineer on the space shuttle. He agrees that the brace needs to be repaired or replaced particularly with the tank being that tall.
What material is the original brace made of? He also said to use comtact cement not silicone if you decide to repair. Let me know and I will pick his brain for any further suggestions.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I say get a bigger tank. You'll be happier in the long run! This hobby will take you like a hit and run. Then you'll wish you had a bigger tank. Cheers!

burning2nd

epoxy, and popsickle sticks.....

glue em to the bottem so you can see anything...

they also have plastic welders.... you could weld that

Warnberg

For the approx 100.00 it will cost to replace it, I wouldn't risk it... just get another tank... cause the way I look at it, if you try to fix it, then fill it with water and it breaks, would it be worth the 100.00 to not have to clean 45 gallons of water/rocks/gravel/fish/etc... off the carpet and the house?

emo_1992

The lift tubes are reminents from a bygone era, I will be going with LS and LR when I set it up. Was going to replace the tank with bigger, however we will be building our new house this year so the money to set up a larger new tank is not realy in the budget at the moment. The original brace is part of the plastic mold, I had thought about taking it to a shop down the street to see if there was away to repair and reinforce the crossmember. The only purpose for the brace is for lateral support of the front glass to keep it from bowing. I am looking forward to any other suggestions.

Lynn

emo_1992

OK I called my husband who is a structural engineer on the space shuttle. He agrees that the brace needs to be repaired or replaced particularly with the tank being that tall.
What material is the original brace made of? He also said to use comtact cement not silicone if you decide to repair. Let me know and I will pick his brain for any further suggestions.

Lynn it is good to meet you. We lived in Winter Springs, FL for a number of years, infact that was the last place the tank was set up. We still have many friends and family in the area there. I do miss the abundance of LFS that delt with marine animals, the closest I have here is over 200 miles away.
Lynn

lcstorc

Nice to meet you as well. The first question my husband asked was what is the brace made out of. I can talk to him about it tonight and see if he has any ideas. He is a bit prone to over-engineer things due to his line of work but I am certain he can come up with some suggestions for you. Since he tends to avoid the forums I will likely act as transtaltor, but likely he can come up with an idea or 2 for you. Next time you come down, let me know. We would love to have you over for dinner and/or lfs hopping like I do with Woodstock when she visits her folks in Melbourne.

Last edited:

emo_1992

We are hopeing to be down that way next year. Trying to put together a 7 day cruise since the better half and I will be celibrating 15 years here in two months. I would look forward to meeting you and your family.
A thought is I wonder if Gorilla Glue would work for bonding considering the fact that it is water activated. I have used it on many other projects just not sure if it would have an adverse effect on any future reef inhabitants.

Last edited:

emo_1992

Ok as it stands now, I am going to be replacing the tank. However I will also be seeing about repairing the crossmember and then setting up in the shop and running for a period of time to see if the repairs will hold. This will help to reassure me that the repairs will last and if it fails I have verry little water damage to worry about. thanks for all of your input and advice. Lynn

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Ok as it stands now, I am going to be replacing the tank. However I will also be seeing about repairing the crossmember and then setting up in the shop and running for a period of time to see if the repairs will hold. This will help to reassure me that the repairs will last and if it fails I have verry little water damage to worry about. thanks for all of your input and advice. Lynn

Smart choice... :thumbup:

Constantly worrying about a potential tank disaster is not worth it.

emo_1992

Well I was finnaly able to get ahold of AGA and order the replacement top. With shipping was under $20.00. The only problem that I had was it took 4 calls to them to get a return call to order the part. The tank should be fixed within a week. yea.....:chair: