Tank diy question

tank stalker

So I have this 65 gallon tank I will be starting soon and I want this certain lighting fixture but this cross brace is dead center of the tank can I cut it out or does it serve a purpose other than the lids

be0e55f09ce38a91791e282e0323c7db.jpg

Stalking a tank near you

MrX

It's there for a reason... you can't just cut it out and not use it.

A number of people have had success replacing the center brace with a piece of clear acrylic. You cut out the existing center brace, leaving enough room/material to attach the replacement acrylic brace using nylon screws/nuts.

If you search this forum, other forums, or Google for something like "replacement center brace" or "acrylic center brace" I'm sure you find more info.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes it is supporting. How much is a huge question but it's not something I would remove entirely. I've seen several tanks so like suggested above and removing that brace but ALL replaced it with another brace of one form or another.

tank stalker

Ok so my next question how much light do you think i will lose with it being there if I go with one larger light fixture as opposed to two.

Stalking a tank near you

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok so my next question how much light do you think i will lose with it being there if I go with one larger light fixture as opposed to two.

Stalking a tank near you

It depends on the light itself:

If the LED are spaced fairly far apart it may not be a big problem
If the fixture is suspended fairly high above the tank rim it may not be a big problem
If the fixture has "pucks" (like the GHL Mitras does) and the spacing between the pucks happens to fall where the brace is.. it may not be a problem

If the brace is directly under a series of LED it might cause a significant reduction in light reaching the water. Only way to know for sure is to either give it a try or find someone with your same set-up who is running the fixture you have in mind.

It would be a pure WAG for anyone to try and say how much you'd lose without knowing the specifics of your tank, the fixture, and exactly how high you plan to mount it above the tank. Ideally you'd go with a pair of fixtures to completely take the brace out of play and get the most light into the tank.

DaveK

Ok so my next question how much light do you think i will lose with it being there if I go with one larger light fixture as opposed to two. ...

It's often not so much that the light is being blocked, but that it can make the tank look bad. At one time I had 3, 250W MHs over the tank and I got a dim area under the fixture in the middle and some shadows thrown from the other two. Not hat bad, but I noticed.

Also, what sort of lighting are you planning for the tank? That will make a big difference.

tank stalker

A new led system by oceans by design. Their website is oceansbydesign.com lights look real real good and I've already been emailing back and forth. So the customer service has been good

Stalking a tank near you

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
OBD is a sponsor here and they are very good people. Mike (mojoreef) is one of the most knowledgeable people around and he was very involved in the building of Reef Sanctuary here many years ago. I think you'll get a top quality product as well as top level customer service through and through.

snowboss

I'm no expert on lighting,but I have a 55gal tank with a 36" fluval sea, marine and reef, led light.I connected it to my canopy over the tank and it works great, no problem with cross brace being in the way.