Tank Crashed

Jason25

I am very sad to say that my system suffereda major crash 2 days ago and almost everything in my tank is gone sigh...... I am so upset I had corals in my tank that were almost 2 years old. I had 2 gorgous frog spawns that are both gone now. One of them was a frag from AL. I am heart broken. It is my fault that it happened to. I installed a durso stand pipe in my tank that slightly slowed down the flow to my sump. Weds. I got home from work to find the water level in my tank very close to the top and without thinking in a state of near panic I yanked the durso out. Well it didnt occur to me to check the level in my which was very low. The water rushed into the sump and without my knowledge at the time came in contact with one of "HOT" HEATERS. Well it cracked and I didn't realize it until yesterday which was too late. My tank got electrocuted and whatever else contaminated the water from the heater breaking. So I chucked in some carbon changed the filter sock and tonight I will do a 10gal water change and then tomorrow another 10. From the looks of it the only thing that is still alive are my 2 damsels. I am so upset I worked very hard to get my tank where it was and on top of losing my livestock, I also lost a couple hundred dollars with it. We all know that corals are cheap. If anyone has some frags they are willing to part with please let me know so I can start rebuilding my tank. SIGH.......:cry1:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Aww man that SUCKS! I'm SO sorry buddy!! I'll make another frag for you when you get the tank back in order.

lcstorc

That stinks.
I had a heater explode like that once but fortunately I was there when it happened so I was able to deal with it.
Hopefully you will be able to salvage more than you think you can.

ReefLady

Staff member
Wow, very sad. Really sorry to hear that. And it must be incredibly frustrating. I hope you can rebuild. Sorry about this.

Jason25

I will rebuild it. That is not going to stop my love of this hobby. You can bet that will never happen to me again though. I was surprised that 2 of my corals looked like they bleached alomst instantly. It is very upsetting but my fault. It just goes to show that one can never be to careful. I am always very careful what I do with my tank so that this did not happen. One momentary lapse in judgement is all it takes.

Maybe some of the corals will come back. I had 2 that took well over a month to come back to life after being shipped & nearly frozen.

rmlevasseur

Very sorry to hear this. Did you have your heaters on GFI circuits?? All this might have been avoided if you had. In the future consider putting your sump equipment on one circuit and your main tank powerheads and such on a second.

I have tons of white xenia I can send you when you are back up if interested.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I swithed over to the "Stealth" heaters for this very reason. I too have "Busted" a heater from Thermal Shock just like this.

Hang in the Jason.
We CAN rebuild it.. it will be stronger... faster....

oh sorry! That's an old TV show I used to water

(Six Million Dollar Man)

rmlevasseur

Thats one of the nice design changes I made when I switched from my Lifereef sump to a bigger one. With the Lifereef, it was possible for the sump to run dry. With my new sump, the water in the first chamber can never be drained below the first baffle. That's where I keep the heaters and skimmer.

miaskies

Sorry to hear that, I am doing a low tech tank. I don't use a heater because I have t-5's and a skilter with a warm motor, so the water stays at a constant 78 degrees. I never liked sumps, a lot of people had nitrate and flooding probs. I am beginning to think refugiums are an expensive ass piece of plastic. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure a lot of people who spent way too much on marketing schemes the industry has come out with will disagree. However, if you keep it simple, there is not a lot that can go wrong.

I know how it is to royally screw up a tank, I did it twice battling ick, but this time I am taking things waaay slower.

Reddog170

Sorry to hear about your tank. I wish I had something I could frag for you. Well at least you know what not to do next time. Good luck, Shaun

Jason25

Well 1 good piece of news I did find my yellow watchmen goby alive and well last night which is cool because he is my favorite little fish.

Jason25

Very sorry to hear this. Did you have your heaters on GFI circuits?? All this might have been avoided if you had. In the future consider putting your sump equipment on one circuit and your main tank powerheads and such on a second.

I have tons of white xenia I can send you when you are back up if interested.
Thank you very much, all of my xenia that I did have melted away.

Debby

wow that is so sad. think if that happen to me i would have to be committed.Hope you get it up and all start doing good.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
So sorry Jason. Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. Fortunately, I was able to save 5 of 8 fish by moving them to a QT and I lost no corals as I caught it in time. Interesting that your Yellow Watchman made it. When it happened to my tank, my Watchman was the only fish I could not find. Later he showed up without any evidence there was ever a problem.

Let me know when you get going again and I'll send you some frags.