Tank Bred thoughts, and philosophical questions

meandean45

Hello!
I guess that I've got to give you that point!:wave: I hope that they can find a way to survive when Aquariums are outlawed because they're "destroying"the worlds' Reefs! :smack:
Dean

lcstorc

Sometime I'll expound on my dolphin and aliens theories. :alien:

BTW, just FYI, I believe that Catalinas are infertile.

And yes, I too have a house full of adopted creatures!

Let me guess. Another fan of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
So long and thanks for all the fish. :)
You know it is the mice that are really in charge.
:)

meandean45

One has to define what "natural selection" is. On one hand, you have people who believe that natural selection is what would happen in the wild without man's interference. But I contend that's flawed reasoning. Man has influenced every part of the globe by his very existence (sorry to the women out there, I'm using the collective "man"), so who is to say what the earth would look like had man never existed?
We're trying to regulate fishing (hubby in the Coast Guard can attest to this), save the whales, find "extinct" species, save the rainforests, have created species like Catalina macaws and picasso clownfish, regulate our own propagation...
Where's the line?
Apparently there isn't one!!! Speaking for myself, "I'd like to see one drawn, and not crossed!" At least in the reef hobby. I need someone to explain to me how a person can "Re-create the natural beauty of a reef habitat" with creatures that do NOT occur in nature!?!!!

True "Natural Selection" ceased in humans long before recorded history began. Simple things like crutches and canes, Spears and Knives, made it possible for our ancestors to survive, when nature would have "culled" them. Has this been "Good" for our species as a whole? We'll never know. Once the line is crossed, there is no way to go back and check to see if it would have been 1) Better, 2) Worse, or 3) the same. Theories will come and go, but none of them can be proved or disproved. The development of anti-biotic medicines in the 20th century kept millions of humans alive (including myself) long past the time that infection/disease would have "culled" them. Is this better or worse for the species? Again, the line has been crossed, and there is no way of telling now. Are humans REALLY better off with a life span that is now 20 or more years longer on the average? Is it better to die from Pneumonia at age 32, or Cancer at age 72? Or a broken leg at 12? Or, Perhaps, Starvation at 12 days? There are no right, or wrong answers.

We as a group, by refusing to buy these specimens, Have a chance to draw, and hold, the line for reef species. I think that we should, obviously, others disagree.

I'l end my tirade now, as it's obvious to me that it's a situation where the thoughts of the many will prevail, and I will just have to get used to seeing "Picasso Clowns" for sale at my LFS.

Thanks to all for their input!

Regards,
Dean

kathywithbirds

We shall agree to disagree!! :clink:

Lynn, no, not Hitchhiker, more like Xfiles. I'm of the opinion that WE are the aquarium for the aliens. Food? No, don't think so. More like they take out a specimen, poke and prod it a bit, put it back (alien abductions). This would explain lost civilizations -- they decided to re-think the inhabitants. :alien:

The dolphins -- another of my theories, I'm a stay at home mom, I have nothing better to do -- were one of the first species to come out of the water (or, well, stay in, whatever) and create early civilization. (One of the species that we can't seem to decide how smart they are.) Their world was probably something spectacular (Atlantis??) with art, music, literature, as well as disease, famine, prejudice, wars... they progressed so far without decimating themselves that decided at some point they were truly happy back in the water in the first place. And if we're smart we'll also get to the point where we realize that "progress" isn't necessarily progress. :swmfish: :hammerhea

lcstorc

You really need to read Hitchikers Guide. It is a great series of books and many of your theories are represented in them. Or if you don't like to read see the movie even. It is one of the few movies made from books that keeps the feel of the original. The movie is a bit over the top but then again if you know anything about the author it is very much his style. (He died suddenly when they were making the movie. )

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Oh MY! I so wanted to say something smart and clever but my killer ape gene is acting up again:whstlr: :guns: :lol: