Taking Out Bioballs

reefman283

hey i have a 14 gallon biocube and i wanted 2 kno if it wuld be ok to take out the bioballs to lower the nitrates and put a sponge in the area where they were

jjohnson3

If the tank has been set-up already and you have livestock, you definately want to do this over the course of a few days or weeks. I am unsure of the mod that people used to do to biocubes to fill the area of where the bioballs are. Maybe they added filter cartriges???

yeah.. do it slowly.. i took all mine out at once cause i didnt think about it, luckily it didnt cause a cycle.. but my xenias were REALLY inhappy for about 5 days.. make that middle chamber a refugium with a littl clip on lite and some mud, rubble rock and chaeto!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Take them out over the course of SEVERAL water changes.

also the sponge will because similar if you don't clean/replace it every few days.

reefman283

so i shuold take out some bioballs out when i do a water change and do that for several water changes and put a filter cartridge in there place and change the filter cartridge every few days right?

BLAKEJOHN

if you put a filter or sponge you need to clean it aevery couple of days or you will have a nitrate problem too.

hredder

ok so i am setting up a 90 gallon theres no water yet but friday i have the ro water and im gonna mix my own water...i purchased a wet/dry and of course it came with bioballs. the space to get to the bioballs is slim. i cam get my hand in there but im sure only small rock can fit in there. i should abandon the bioballs from the beginning i assume. should i put my heater in the sump or should i put it in the overflow area. wheres the best place to put it

BLAKEJOHN

I would put ti in the sump. Even in the over flow (if it stays full of water) the water has alot of time to cool off before coming back in contact with the heater again. In the sump the water goes past the heat and to the tank reletivly soon. So the tank is always recieving warm water.