T5's

the higher the "K" rating the bluer they get

I like the blue look so they put off the same light the coral need just with more of a blue look so you don't have to run 6500k you can run 2 12k and 2 460 and be ok? Sorry to sound dumb but I don't know unless i ask ;)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ask all you like.

6500k? That's WAY low in the spectrum. That's more of a plant growing bulb I believe.

prow

i would go with only one actinic. but the 12k i really like them. the 10k is too yellow for me and the 11k is too white. the 12k just right. thats just me though. i have a few different bulbs that i buy extra and switch them out every now and then. it make it look like a new fresh tank. i like the 3500k too, not all the time and your nutrients need to be in check with it, it has a red/orange color. really makes the reds and purples pop. just play with it, thats the fun part for me.

prow

this might help you with bulbs, came from the link cheeks gave awhile back. it only shows the PAR on one bulb running on that ballast but should give you an idea about the bulbs.

OK, Here's the latest readings taken with the lamps running on a triad ballast. The numbers are only good for comparison here. Previous readings I took were with a different ballast and reflector so don't try to compare the two.

ATI

Sun Pro 357
Aquablue 336
Blue Plus 311
Actinic 137

D&D/Giesemann

Midday 325
Aquablue 324
Actinic Plus 264
Pure Actinic 157

AquaZ

Sun Pro 285
Ocean Pro 323
Blue Pro 266

Helios

Daylight 309
Super Blue 225

Current Sun Paq

Daylight 10K 272
Blue 252

GE Daylight 340

Rcpilot

Has been struck by the ban stick
6x24w T5 on Rcpilots 24x19x18(35gal)=144w or 4.1w/gal
6x39w T5 on Reefcraze 1 36x19x18(55gal)=234w or 4.2w/gal

both are 19" tall tanks. both lighting setups give about the same watts per gallon. but the 39watters will punch through the water more and the corals on the bottom will get more light vs the corals under the 24watters even though the watts per gallon are the same.

Correction:

My tank is 24" wide x 24" tall x 12" deep--front too back. 30 gallons.

The math:
24x12x24 = 6912 cubic inches = 29.922 gallons

My water depth is actually 24". I do have 4.8w per gallon.

Rcpilot

Has been struck by the ban stick
I wanted 12k lights in my new fixture, but they were a lot of extra $$.

I wanted to get 3 bulbs @ 12k and 3 true actinics.

I ended up getting the stock bulbs. 3 @ 10K and 3 blue actinic.

We'll see how it looks. 10K looks awful yellow to me. I really like the look of a 12K bulb.

If your growing deep water corals, then you'd be using 20K bulbs to simulate the blue water at depths of 60'--90'

I wouldn't mind having a few 12K in my new fixture. With a 20K and 2 blue actinics. I think that would probably look pretty good, but ya gotta spend more $$ to find out for sure. :bugout:

prow

Correction:

My tank is 24" wide x 24" tall x 12" deep--front too back. 30 gallons.

The math:
24x12x24 = 6912 cubic inches = 29.922 gallons

My water depth is actually 24". I do have 4.8w per gallon.
cool, but same thing. here check this.

say a 60x24x24(150gal) fits 8x80w T5's= 4.2w/gal, less w/gal than yours but so much more light reaches the bottom, its just not comparable based on watts/gallon.

ok so the higher the K the bluer it looks I am going to the bulb combo you pm me prow. Last question hehe I hope so what determine how deep the light reaches the K or the watt?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
ok so the higher the K the bluer it looks I am going to the bulb combo you pm me prow..
To an extent. Once you get so high it becomes more of a "White" than blue.

Last question hehe I hope so what determine how deep the light reaches the K or the watt?
It's been reported that different spectrums (K-value) do penetrate slightly differently but the real powerhouse of penetration is WATTAGE! It's like which car goes further into a brick wall (given both weigh the same and have identical structural integrity)

Car "A" traveling at 24 Miles Per Hour
Car "B" traveling at 80 Miles Per Hour

Clearly "B" is going to penetrate better with all other factors considered. It doesn't matter if we put several cars side by side (bulbs per fixture) each car is only going to be penetrating a certain amount unless they "over lap" and contribute as a group. This will slightly increase the penetration but only a small amount.

I hope this analogy helps some.

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That analogy was kind of silly but it's fairly accurate for what I was trying to accomplish :)

To an extent. Once you get so high it becomes more of a "White" than blue.

It's been reported that different spectrums (K-value) do penetrate slightly differently but the real powerhouse of penetration is WATTAGE! It's like which car goes further into a brick wall (given both weigh the same and have identical structural integrity)

Car "A" traveling at 24 Miles Per Hour
Car "B" traveling at 80 Miles Per Hour

Clearly "B" is going to penetrate better with all other factors considered. It doesn't matter if we put several cars side by side (bulbs per fixture) each car is only going to be penetrating a certain amount unless they "over lap" and contribute as a group. This will slightly increase the penetration but only a small amount.

I hope this analogy helps some.

Allen :)

You also need to take into account the fact that 24 watts covers only 20 inches in width, while 80 watt covers 60-70+ inches.

So add into the analogy that the 80 mph car is not going straight into the wall and it's a slight bit more accurate for depth of penetration. I personally penetrate VERY deep.

I should have jumped in sooner this is a great debate!

Im swinging for team T5!!!!!! (In shallow tanks, I never had a tank deeper than 18inches.)

Anyways, its 2007 watts per gallon is irrelevant when it comes to reef lighting. There are way too many options here T5, LED, MH ect.

The magic of t5's it that your able to wrap a bulb in a parabolic reflector! Strictly physics here. This reflector increases the strenght of the bulb like 300%.

Also, when you put a 48" bulb over a 48" tank, you get 100% coverage. You can grow SPS in any corner of your tank.

I have 2 tanks with t5's, I have to keep a heater on them year round! If I dont the tank will be 2-3 deg. below my house temp with one little fan and GLASS HOODS! house is 77 tank would get 74 in the summer!

I change my bulbs out at 1 year. What a savings!

GO T5's LOL

stonies.jpg

prow

wow,:eek: check out that bud light. looks nice and cold :drooool:, i can see the sweet drops:apint:

:clink: