t5 lights for 37 gal

Jason1

hey all,

Right now on my tank i am running a 150w MH clamp on light that I am not 100% happy with. I am thinking of switching over to t5s, but I am not sure how many bulbs I would need for the height of my tank to not be limited on what corals I can put in there.

The 37 gal tall aquarium dimensions are 30" long, 12" wide, and 22" deep.

right now, i am looking at the...

30 inch Current USA SunDual T5 HO 4x24w w/timers & LED.

-or-

Catalina 30 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 4 X 24W

-or-

Catalina 30 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 6 X 24W

What do you guys think? will 4 bulbs be enough for the height of my tank or will i need to run 6?

The current fixture is an all in one deal with timers and moon lights. the Catalina fixtures do not come with legs or moonlighting and are a little more expensive. if possible i would like to stick to the 4 bulbs due to money restrictions, but if it makes that much of a difference, I can come up enough to buy the 6bulb. is Catalina a good brand? Does anyone have any experience with these lights? please share for a t-5 newbie =)

thanks for your help!
jason

TylerHaworth

I've got a 4 bulb Catalina, and it's a decent fixture, definitely better than the reflectors on the Current fixture... I would go with the 6 lamp fixture... 4 won't penetrate to the bottom

Don't skimp on your lighting, you'll just end up buying another fixture in the future

redsea reefer

I've got a 4 bulb Catalina, and it's a decent fixture, definitely better than the reflectors on the Current fixture... I would go with the 6 lamp fixture... 4 won't penetrate to the bottom

Don't skimp on your lighting, you'll just end up buying another fixture in the future

+1...6 lamp

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think if you're even entertaining the idea and buying new anyway opt for the 6 bulb as long as it fits well over the tank. No sense in having the extra bulbs if they are just spilling the extra light into the room.

Jason1

6 bulbs will def fit, i just want to make sure if i am going to spend the money that i wont be limited too much. are the tek and ati fixtures that much better than catalina?

Jason1

for instance, how does the 6 bulb catalina compare to the 4 bulb tek fixture? they are comparable price and tek doesnt make a 6 bulb at 24"

I also have an old current orbit PC light that I might be able to convert into a t5 fixture...would buying a icecap retro and sticking it in there be a better option?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
IMHO Tek and ATI are well ahead of most of the other light manufacturers. ATI is AMAZING!!

As for "Retro" on the Current I wouldn't bother with it. You need quality reflectors or you're wasting your time and money.

Jason1

I understand they are the best, but since their 24" fixtures only come with 4 bulbs, will they still be better than the 6 bulb catalina?

will they have the same light output or better even with 2 less bulbs?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't know that one. I don't think it's THAT much better but I've also not had the pleasure of owning an ATI or TEK fixture.. YET!

I would venture to say YES if you were comparing something like a Current fixture but Catalina does have decent IDR's already.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd say most likely YES from a LIGHT point of view. That's just my 2 cents but from a strict LIGHT aspect you'll have a LOT of light in the tank.

Keep in mind water quality and tank stability are JUST as important as light :)

Jason1

Yes, I understand about water quality and stability. I think I may have finally got my water quality squared away with the addition of the algae scrubber to my tank. I have learned quite a lot the hard way even when I thought i was doing everything right. Take a look at my chronicle in my sig, page 2, and you will see what my tank has gone through...I "think" I may have it under control now =)

Thanks for your help btw! I really appreciate it.