T5 lighting vs VHO

Therapy

As I have stated before. Trying to catch up on things. Why is T5 lighting seem more popular than VHO? The wattage doesn't compare?
Can someone....(wait for it)....enlighten me on this? LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I haven't seen enough post on it to know what it was... had to goggle - hopefully some can advise

VHO Lighting or Very High Output Lighting is specialty fluorescent lighting. VHO fluorescent bulbs are similar in design to standard fluorescent bulbs, but use a special fixture and ballast to produce up to three times more light than a standard fluorescent bulb.

Therapy

No offense Nano. I knew this. I have many Icecap ballasts still left from my previous reefing. I tend to use these now on Q tanks and frag tanks. I need new bulbs and end caps, that is why I am asking.

DaveK

VHO is just about obsolete by today's standards. The main reason is because you can get more light out of T5's by putting individual reflectors behind each bulb, and you can get a lot more bulbs over the same area.

Since you already have the ballasts, you could put them to work for your system, but those original Ice Cap ballasts are no longer being made. This could make replacing tem with an equivalent a little tricky, although there are plenty of other ballasts out there.

You also have an additional factor. LED lighting is going to cost more initially, but long term cost a lot less because of the much lower energy consumption and not needing to replace bulbs. If your going to buy new, LED lighting can be a much better choice than VHO or T5.

Therapy

Yep. My plans are for LED's over display tank. Going to use VHO or CF over quarantine tanks which are going to fired up soon. B4 Display tank. Since I have to get new end caps, (lost mine in move somewhere) I was trying to determine which ends to get. MY ballasts currently work just fine.
Thx for your input.

DaveK

Before you spend money on VHO or CF, take the time to compute the total cost of ownership over a 5 year period. Be sure to include the cost of additional parts, power consumption costs and the bulb replacement costs. You may find it lots less expensive to just buy new LED lighting for everything.

Therapy

For my quarantine tank, I'll use what I have left over to save enough for main display. I'll swap over to LED after the storm settles. :) 100 bucks for light bulbs is chicken feed compared to the cost of main tank. Thx for your input though.

chipmunkofdoom2

If you're spending $100 on bulbs anyway, you could also use something like a PAR38 bulb. They retail between $60 and $100 depending on the source and LED quality, and they screw into a regular lamp socket. For a QT tank one would probably work, unless it's a larger QT. They generally light a 12"x12" area if you're using it on a QT the coverage needn't be perfect.

It seems like you're set on T5s, which is fine. They're still a great light source. Just wanted to through this into the discussion as well.