Super reef octopus XP 2000 protein skimmer

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
They are great skimmers and it will certainly perform well on your 52.....maybe too well depending on the inhabitants!

really dont have any besides lr and some cleaner snails. been letting it cycle for about 5 months. wanting to upgrade skimming

I have been running it on 70 gallons for a year and a half. My take is,

It works well as far as skimming. Are probably up on top as far as being energy efficient. My BB2000 pulls 17 watts. That reduced heat is a big plus on are small systems.

The neck size is too big for that small of a system. Most of the skimmate will end up in the neck with very little getting to the cup. It will also cause you to close the valve way down in order to raise the foam level into the neck. This causes a lot of back pressure and kills the performance of the pump. This seems to be exaggerated more on these skimmers then something with a strong pump like Reef Dynamics.

The BB pumps have a significant hum to them. Something on a level with the Mag Drives. So they can be pretty noisy in a small cabinet. Also note that I am on my third pump and second impeller. They have made a few design changes since the pumps were released. So inquire into how old the pump is. They/ parts are not cheap. But the pump does have a three year warranty. All though that won’t apply to the used ebay skimmer.

That skimmer is a much better fit for a 120 – 180 gallon system. I would look for the SRO 1000’s for yours.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Choff

Offshore is spot on.

People like to oversize their skimmer, but that is generally because the ratings are hogwash. Too big of a skimmer is worse than too small. This is where full cone skimmers come into play. They are better at pulling skimmate up if you are slightly oversized, but unnecessary if your skimmer is properly sized.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

kyle4201

I have a 90g MT and a 40g fuge. I just got the bubble magus 5.5 an couldn't be happier. So quiet & looks great in my display fuge. Plenty of skimmate .