Sun coral

illy915

I just bought some sun coral from the store yesterday in the store it wasn't open but the guy assured me that this was an "Indonesian" sun coral that feed at night so I bought it 35 bucks seemed cheap! HOWEVER, it has not opened up yet is this noraml? anyone have experience? What can I do?:cry1:

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Sun coral and the duncans are in the same family. I bought 3 sets of 4-6 heads. 1 opened immediately, one opened 12 hours later. The third didnt open for 2 days. give it some time. It may yet open.

what kind of lights are they under? where in the tank are they.

illy915

I have a 15g tank set up with LED Ecoxotic Panorama Pro one white and one blue...the corals are placed in Mid-light and mid-low. Are yours open all day?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have a dendro in my dt. I've seen it open twice. They abhor light n feed after I'm in bed. Most boring coral I own. But the two times I've seen it open wow

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I went with Duncans instead of sun Corals. They dont like light, prefering to feed at night. Where as Duncans are open all the time, and are partially photosynthetic. They love my 10k halide over my 65. i ahve 2 colonies atm. 1 greenish, 2 heads. one pale green with 8 heads. Since i started target feeding them before bed 1x a week and keeping them low in the 65 under my 250 watt halide, both have put off babies in less than a week. Im hoping by spring to have several frags ready to sell/trade.

Matt...I thought dendros are the ones always open most of the time and the sun corals only open at feeding time. Ohhh man I was gonna get some dendros but don't want anything in the tank that doesn't stay open most of the time.

Bummer...so now dendros are out....or is this not the norm????

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I assume mine is a dendro however it could b a tubastrea

I've not seen it opened enough to id.

Dendros typically stay open at day though.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

ed84g

I bought one of those about a month ago. It was just a boring looking red coral but i asked the guy in the store if it did anything and he assured me that it looked great when it was open. I took a leap of faith and brought it home but it didn't open.

I moved it to a couple of spots and noticed that it opened up a little when it was in a little bit of shade. Seeing this i moved a large rock and turned it into a ledge by putting a small one under it and created a big shadey area. After moving it into the shaded area it started opening up for an hour or 2 every night.

It one of my favourite corals in the tank now, the colours are intense!

550652_10152162803225405_998965118_n.jpg

kmaintl

I just bought some sun coral from the store yesterday in the store it wasn't open but the guy assured me that this was an "Indonesian" sun coral that feed at night so I bought it 35 bucks seemed cheap! HOWEVER, it has not opened up yet is this noraml? anyone have experience? What can I do?:cry1:

give it some time to acclimate to new surroundings. make sure your parameters are right. and he does need to be in the shade initially.

U should always keep them in shadow area, they dont like any light
try to feed all other corals and fish first, then when he sense there is food, the tentcles will slowly open, I did feed mine during the nights