Sump refugium DIY question

lilj104

I plan on making a refugium out of a 20g L aquarium. Now i've seem many layouts/designs of different one. Which would be the best way to make a refugium:
1)

• Chamber 1: protein skimmer and sock

• Chamber 2: refugium

• Chamber 3: return pump

2)

• Chamber 1: Protein skimmer and sock

• Chamber 2: return pump

• Chamber 3: refugium.

Or if you have any other designs which would be better and why is it the best one?

Also which would be better acrylic baffles, or glass?

My setup is
First chamber has protein skimmer.
The water then flows through baffles and into my refugium with live rock, sand bed, and macro algaes.
Then into the final section with my return pump.
Prbbly one of the best designs imo...but if I was to build another sump, I would also put baffles between the refugium and the return section. I get occasional bubbles in my return section every now and then. Nothing crazy, but if u are crazy about not seeing many bubbles in Ur dt, u might want to consider this idea.
I used regular cheap glass for the baffles. It does not need to be this since it is almost equal pressure on both sides of the glass. The acrylic would just be a waste of money for this project. Imo. If u have any questions hmu
Hope this helps

If u go with Ur second idea, there will be no water flow into Ur refugium. The water would just stop at the return chamber and go back up to the dt

lilj104

My setup is
First chamber has protein skimmer.
The water then flows through baffles and into my refugium with live rock, sand bed, and macro algaes.
Then into the final section with my return pump.
Prbbly one of the best designs imo...but if I was to build another sump, I would also put baffles between the refugium and the return section. I get occasional bubbles in my return section every now and then. Nothing crazy, but if u are crazy about not seeing many bubbles in Ur dt, u might want to consider this idea.
I used regular cheap glass for the baffles. It does not need to be this since it is almost equal pressure on both sides of the glass. The acrylic would just be a waste of money for this project. Imo. If u have any questions hmu
Hope this helps

In my design in my mind I have [skimmer/refugium///return]

the 3 baffles will be and 1" apart each.

Where do you get your glass from? And where do you get it cut to size?

The dimensions of the 20g is 30x12x12. So should the baffles be exactly 12" or should it be 11"7/8 and the sealant will fill in the rest?

If you don't mind me asking, why do you feel acrylic would be waste in a refugium build? Are they weaker than glass?

BLADEYAMAHA

I'd go as big as I could on the tank size, if you are doing a refugium in there too. I'm going for a 75 gallon full of water for a refugium on mine instead of a mostly full 33 gallon Oceanic.

lilj104

I'd go as big as I could on the tank size, if you are doing a refugium in there too. I'm going for a 75 gallon full of water for a refugium on mine instead of a mostly full 33 gallon Oceanic.

Good point, but since i do not have that amount of space for a larger aquarium to be placed underneath my tank, the 20g is all I got to use for now

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
for baffles, you can do exact inside dimentions, but dont forget to round the corners, the sealant does take up space, and you really DONT want to cut it

StirCrayzy

[video=youtube;68VgR1uQi8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68VgR1uQi8U&feature=plcp[/video]
Im using style #2 for mine with a seperate fuge feed off my main drain line.

lilj104

Another question, how can I get holes put into a glass baffle, so that water can pass through rather than above each baffle?

StirCrayzy

Water through instead of over /under? Thats not really efficient nor accurate for flow estimation.
But the answer remains...
Get diamond hole saw (glass specific) at size you need, and drill away.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If you havent already bought the glass, dont buy glass. If you need easy to setup and alter baffles, go with 3/8" acrylic sheet. widely available, and most household saw/drills/hole saw's can be used without special training/equipment.

lilj104

If you havent already bought the glass, dont buy glass. If you need easy to setup and alter baffles, go with 3/8" acrylic sheet. widely available, and most household saw/drills/hole saw's can be used without special training/equipment.

Where can I get acrylic sheets from?

StirCrayzy

Acrylic is easier to work with and more forgiving, but also costs double and for the strength comparable to glass you should double the thickness. Which over the qty of baffles could occupy an extra inch of space or more meaning less gallons.

I have access to acrylics and polcarbs, for free, but after some water flow testing and sealing, i decided to use glass.

Haaileybop

I did a DIY sump too using a 20g L. I went with your option one style one I did it. Its been running for over a year now. Its great, tons of room in the fuge. I probably have around 20lbs of rock in there along with cheato. I did acrylic baffles. If I had to do it again, I would go with glass. It was hard to get a good seal with the silicone with the acrylic to glass. I had to take them out twice and scrape off silicone because of seepage.

lilj104

Ok how thick should the glass baffles be. I have already started put together my bubble trap section in the sump, but someone told me got w/ 1/4" if it less does it matter, will it make a difference? Or can i just get away with Home depot or Lowes glass?

lilj104

I would like to paint the refugium section black, so that light wont' make it through the other compartments. Is there any paint that is not toxic towards an aquarium that I can use?