Summaryof filtration systems

Scooterman

DSB, I thought we were discussing who was the better debater! Hum, go figure..ok, teasing!

Last edited:

Maxx

So what can be reasonably argued as the best system or hybrid of systems? I cant see how a person would benefit from only using one system? Its not like the systems will fight each other...unless you leave the bio balls in the sump.....
Nick

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Nick,

I agree with you. It seems that hybrid systems are a benefit. I think the most important thing to remember is what you have and what you need to do to maintain your system appropriately. What works for one person's system, may not work for another by shear way of maintenance practice.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Agreed, an example would be maybe someone that followed a BB system with high energy flow so a sediment bed wouldnt work in the display, but they still wanted something from another system such as maybe the plenum. I dont see why if doen correctly you couldnt improve your system.

Mike

mojoreef

Just a reefer
LOL well thier are a couple of things I like about them that make me shy from the dsb . The paricle size being larger will mean that you will fet a much larger areobic zone, with out having to maintain it (water flow would take care of that. it would be easy to control the input by the use of a settling area prior.....still talking about it Maxx but I can see some benefits for sure

Mike

Curtswearing

This is a very interesting thread.

The Saltwater Enthusiasts of St. Louis (www.seasl.org) went to 3 different members houses on Saturday morning. At that meeting, we got to see-----
A barebottom tank with high water flow
A crushed coral substrate with a miracle mud sump
A southdown DSB
A temporary holding tank while someone builds an inwall system.

All of the owners had great systems and because they maintain them well, all of the tanks look great. We were discussing some of the pros and cons of their filtration.

I think the individual threads we are putting up to flesh out the details of each system are going great and will be a good building block for the article that will eventually be written up on the different systems.

You guys are asking a lot of good questions. Keep up the good work!!!