Sulphur Dioxide

Petronivich

Right guys ive started getting black sand, I have about 2 inches of live sand in a tank about 8 months running. Had problems with nitrate but for a while but gradually coming under control. Just noticed im getting black patches not very.big but it has started im assuming this is sulphur dioxide? What causes this so I can avoid it. I have siphoned the sand and mixed it up, patches are only small at the moment so I dont think it's a risk yet but.I dont want it getting to that points.
Thanks guys
Pete

Sent from my LT15i

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
are they truely jet black, or are they deep red? Get something to stir the sand. Cucumber, snails, some types of goby fish. Black sand indicates the sand isnt being stirred enough.
also, adding flow can help.

steved13

PREMIUM
Nothing better than stirring the sand manually. Try to stir it at least once a month, once a week if you can. If you have good flow through your filtration just stirring can be enough, although vacuuming is even better. Critters to do the job aren't a bad idea, but for me it always seems they miss to many spots so I end up doing it my self.

Petronivich

Lights have gone off in the tank, will post pics tomorrow. So the occurrence is just due to lack of sand movement? I will suction the sand every 2 week's and buy some sand CUC any suggestions as to what I should get?

Sent from my LT15i