Suggestions please: Best Tang for my BSJF?

corrado007

My Pacific Blue Tang is relentlessly picking on my Bluespot. The tang swims down to his burrow and gets in his face. If she finds him out of his burrow, she chases him and nips at him. He gets all scared and goes to the surface and jumps out of the water. He can't get out, the tank is BSJF proof, but he's getting stressed out and may end up hitting a halide bulb or otherwise hurting himself if the Tang doesn't hurt him first (his fins are nipped up a bit already).
It was suggested to me that I get rid of the tang which is the oldest member of my tank at a few years. She is only about 2.5" not including her tail. I have decided to get rid of the tang because the Bluespot of course takes precedence over anything else.
I need a gentle tang that is colorful to replace the current one. I know the Pacific blue I have is supposed to be one of the least aggressive so do I just trade her in at the LFS for a smaller new one that hasn't had the run of the tank before he was introduced or is there a better suggestion. If you're in this section of the forum you probably have some experience with tangs that work well with a BSJF so your suggestions are appreciated. I am fond of the powder blue but they may be too aggressive, some feedback on that particular species is appreciated along with any other species you think would be a good idea.

Naso, Blond Naso, Vlamingii, others???

Thanks

Frankie

RS STAFF
A yellow tang would be good. Just about any tang that will live in a 90 comfortably, (Very few) will be ok. Being new to the reef the new member will pretty much always be last in line.
May I suggest not adding a tang at all? There is a large host of other fish that are just as beautiful and will be much happier then a tang in a 90 gallon reef.

corrado007

May I suggest not adding a tang at all? There is a large host of other fish that are just as beautiful and will be much happier then a tang in a 90 gallon reef.

What sort of suggestions do you have? I'm looking for something that adds color, size, and movement to my tank as most of my fish are small and fairly reclusive.

Hornet

You say the tang is the oldest member of your tank, how long has the BSJF been in the tank? As an option maybe you can put the Pacific Blue in a QT tank for a few weeks to give the BSJF a chance to get settled.

I'd say that the Naso, Blond Naso, and Vlamingii are not good recomendations for your 90 gal tank. You might want to try a Kole tang as they are one of the smaller and more peaceful surgeon fishes.

corrado007

How about a flame angel? DO you have any clams?
Flame Angel
Here is another great fish
Foxface

The lamarck's angel and all of the Genicanthus angels are very reef safe and perfect for a 90
Lamarck's Angelfish

All really great suggestions Frankie, funny you should mention these fish, I've been considering each of these along with a few others as well.

I think I may try a flame angel although I have a slight concern about them picking at corals. Each one differs from the next but it's likely not to be a problem I'd imagine.

I also like the lamark's angelfish but prefer the flame angel. I was in an lfs the other day and there was a fish that looked almost identical to a lamark's but it was a little more vivid blue and was $149!

And Hornet, as for your QT suggestion, not a bad idea but I already got rid of the Pacific Blue (traded for a Midas Blenny at my lfs). I didn't want to risk loosing the BSJF, just not worth it to me. Thanks very much for the good idea though.