Suggestions on new fish for RSM 130

tyleratl

I want a new fish, but can't decide which one. I would love a powder blue tang, but that is out of the question due to the tank size. I thought about a bi-color angel or a yellow pygmy angel, but am unsure if these are really reef-safe. I want something with brilliant color and something a little bigger than my four current fish: 2 yellow tail blue damsels and 2 tomato clowns. Any suggestions? Here's my RSM:

n1295374143_30083630_5029837.jpg

tyleratl

Midas Blenney gets my vote.

I like it! The Midas Blenney has a rich yellow color with blue around the eyes. From what I just read, it swims a bit like an eel and would do fine in my 34 gallon Red Sea Max reef tank.

Any other suggestions out there?

Jeremy0322

I like it! The Midas Blenney has a rich yellow color with blue around the eyes. From what I just read, it swims a bit like an eel and would do fine in my 34 gallon Red Sea Max reef tank.

Any other suggestions out there?

Just make sure you have a top on the tank, im pretty sure those are jumpers.

michael_cb_125

Budget?

Here are a few "nano" fish that I really like:

lg_0220091-171.jpg

lg_0219091-305.jpg

lg_1022081-077.jpg

lg-0206091-055.jpg

lg_0225091-232.jpg

lg-0227091-373.jpg

lg_0114091-336.jpg

The last fish can be aggressive and would be able to hold its own against your damsel and clown.

~Michael

sambrinar

I love the fire fish, but the Helsinki one is much prettier, also way more expensive, and ya you need to be sure you have a top on the tank!

tyleratl

Budget?

Here are a few "nano" fish that I really like:

lg_0220091-171.jpg

lg_0219091-305.jpg

lg_1022081-077.jpg

lg-0206091-055.jpg

lg_0225091-232.jpg

lg-0227091-373.jpg

lg_0114091-336.jpg

The last fish can be aggressive and would be able to hold its own against your damsel and clown.

~Michael

Thanks Michael. I really like the fish in the second photo and also the one in the fourth photo. As for the budget, anything under $35 would be best, but I would consider spending a bit more for the perfect fish.

tyleratl

What about the Bicolor Pseudochromis versus the Royal Gramma? I love the coloring on both, both are reef friendly I believe. Which one?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The Royal gramma will be a lot more peaceful than the Pseudochromis, if that's a factor.

tyleratl

The Royal gramma will be a lot more peaceful than the Pseudochromis, if that's a factor.

Well, I have a tank of fairly aggressive fish right now. I have a pair of juvenile Tomato Clowns and two yellow tail blue damsels. These four fish get along fine.

The question is whether or not I need the more aggressive Psedochromis with these other four fish, or a more timid Royal Gramma.

mzreenie

Don't Royal Gramma's tend to hide out in the rocks? That is my consideration for my last and final fish in my RSM - I want one that is out there swimming, not hiding in the rocks.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yes - the grammas do tend to hide a lot. I have a Diadem Pseudochromis and it spends a lot of time going in and out of the holes & caverns in my rock, but I do think you'll see more of the pseudochromis than the timid gramma. The dottybacks are pretty good at holding their own too, and don't seem to back down or be bullied - very active little fish.