Suggestions for a Good Nano Cube

Corvus

Guys,

I'm still sort of new to this great hobby. My main tank is a mere 40 gallon reef system, but I'd like to put a small 10-30 gallon cube in another room. I'd like to feature SPS corals in this tank (I know they are a challenge), so....

Please recommend a tank, lights (LED, I'm guessing), skimmer, power heads and heater that I might use for such a reef set up. I'm guessing I'd like one that had space in the back for a skimmer and a heater. Of course I will be using live rock.

Of course I welcome all suggestions.

Many thanks!

Corvus

PS I'm willing to go with really good lights and strong currents to help the corals do their best!

I think your best bet would be a 27g cube, I personally would get it drilled so it's RR, LEDS radions would be your best choice gen 2's, I'll be setting up a 45g cube in the next month or so and it'll house mainly sps, I'd suggest a mp10 for flow as well.

Skimmer I'd choose a eshopps. That's what I'll be going with. Everyone has nothing but good things to say about them

klok95330

29 biocube is great. i have a 14 currently. going to also upgrade to a 29 and keep my 14 as a secondary reef. this hobby is addicting and expensive :p

I'm downsizing myself. I looked at the offerings at Cadlights.com. Good stuff, not as main stream as some manufactures and prices to match. The 18G Mini looked cool but a bit small for me. Still a nice design.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have a 16g IM NUvo, it's not a cube but the bigger sizes are in cubes. Hagen is coming out with some nice ones in the next couple of months. I got the chance to see them at MACNA.

Corvus

Thanks for the responses, folks! Yes, this hobby is addictive AND expensive, but what the heck. I haven't decided yet but will keep doing research and try to find the right size for me. I know SPS are tough but I'm up to the challenge. I'll be studying before I dive in, though!

Thanks!

C.

Maprik

Hey Corvus,
As you know I am using a 28G JBJ nano cube. I have the pro hood which has plenty of light for SPS. I like how it's all self contained, doesn't need a sump, has ample room in the back for heaters, filters, a refugium, etc. With 40 pounds of live rock I don't need a skimmer. I just do a 5 g water change every 2 weeks and maintain high Ca and Iodine. I also use a phosphate sponge in the back occasionally. The only thing that bothers me is that the hood is a little loud with the cooling fans. I might take the top off and use a hanging LED set up.

tomr33

My dad has the jbj nano pro nano cube...great led lights 3w diodes very bright..look at them on drsfostersmith.com other than that the red sea max 130 is nice its a little bigger than the jbj