Sudden death in 2 fish

jamielai

I haven't posted on here in a while. I moved my tank about 1 month ago. I have been checking my paremeters every 2 days and haven't had a shift in anything. Will post #'s later. However, about 1 week ago I lost my blue hippo tank and this morning I lost my blue-green chromis. They act completly normal, then just belly up. Could this be shock from the move? I done a wc yesterday. I haven't lost any inverts and all of my corals are opened up just fine.

jamielai

I just finished testing my water:
Temp-80
Salinity-1.023
Nitrates-0
ammonia-0
phosphates-0
carbonate hardness-196.9 ppm

couldn't test my ph because I broke my becker and I don't have another one that large. I also noticed black spots on my clown. I can't tell if they are from my frogspawn or not. They are mostly on his fins and not so much on his body. He eats fine and is swimming around fine.

Mcvivor

Hmm, Odd, I also moved my tank a few months ago. But when I moved them from the 75 into my 220 they all survived. I then did a water change a week or 2 later. And I lost a few of my fish. I had the same problem. I have not lost anything since. Maybe just stress from the move then doing a water change killed our fishies? Just a thought? Because all my corals and inverts were and are fine as well....

jamielai

Strange, well my loving wonderful husband bought me two new powerheads last week. The next day is when my blue hippo died. I thought maybe I blew her to death. Then this morning with my chromis. Well, he felt really bad for me about my Dori dying (more for my son who has been crying). So lastnight he put a yellow tang in my tang. After my heart sank because I don't have a QT (it caught on fire about 2 months ago). Now I am really scared about my tang dying also.

Mcvivor

Yea I learned the importance of a QT really quick. I never QT my fish until now. Just this month ALL MY FISH got ich and half died. I did research and follow the QT process of waiting 8 weeks to add fish into the tank. So I took ALL my remaning fish out of my 220 (pain in the butt) and moved them into QT. It stinks now because my 220 is just boring now without fish. Besides the corals and shrimp. All my remaining fish have been in QT for 2 weeks now and look much better. But I need to wait untl FEB to move them back into my main tank.

As for the Yellow Tang. Just watch out they are ich prone. Thats where my ich started from in my tank. I would def go buy some seaweed if you do not have any. They sell kinds with garlic in it, my fish love it! It will keep the Tang happy and healthy. I would just wait a while before adding anymore fish. I know how it feels to want to have fish in the tank, but I learned the hard way and crashed my tank. I believe someone had a good quote on their sig on this site. "Reefing is like racecar driving, the faster you go, the harder you crash" I love that quote. Good luck with the tank!;)

jamielai

I have always had a QT and I haven't added ANYTHING (not even coral) in about 8 months. I am not even sure if it is black ich. I am just stumped as to why two fish just died with no signs.

oh...and I have seaweed and I mix garlic in with my food that I feed daily

Mcvivor

Maybe it was just a fluke then.... hehe. My fox face had spots too and they were black. So I am guessing it was ich because the other fish had the white spots. Good Luck with everything!

jamielai

I am thinking if it was problems with my sandbed from the move or problems with my water (like toxins from the corals) that the fish would have died right away. Not a month later, right?

Mcvivor

I would assume so. I moved my tank twice, once from a 38 to a 75 (with no deaths) and then from the 75 to the 220 (with a few deaths). Maybe just the stress in general made them weak and they died. I still am not sure because the fish that died were eating and full of color, and the next day boom they are dead....

DStaelens

I'm having this issue myself now. Didn't move anything though. Lost a fox face, and bullet goby, a Kole tang, and a Bangai on separate days. I've had them for a year and a half so far. They look good, eat well, then suddenly their bodies seize up, and within an hour they're dead. Nitrate is a little high (20's), but I have no issues with inverts, soft corals, etc. I just don't get it. LFS had me buy a electrical probe to make sure it wasn't an electrical leak getting them.

jamielai

I haven't thought about an electrical problem. This started the day after I put in the new powerheads. Could they be producing to much power (electricity) in the tank? I am down to 2 fish. My clown and the new yellow tang that has only been in for 3 days now. I think the spots on the clown are def. from one of the corals. I have a temp QT set up for the moment. Nothing fancy, just in case I need a quick get away. My tank is 1 year old now and I haven't had any problems with anything before now.

***I have taken my hood off and my lights were covered with salt. I cleaned them very well. could they have been acting as a conducter. I read an article on here about how you shouldn't put a probe in your tank because then you will always have a current in the water. I think that is what I got from the article.?.

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
"Stray Voltage" can kill fish but usually it's small enough to where it causes other secondary health problems that kill the fish. I'd suspect something else is cause here. Water changes can be bumped up just in case and run some carbon in there.

The "Black Spots" could very well be from your frogspawn. Read through this thread and see if it sounds like what you're seeing
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...343-black-small-smudges-your-anemonefish.html

jamielai

I think I have read everything on this website. She has been stung by the frogspawn before and I think it is the same black spots. I just finished reading Dave's posts where he blew his sand and detrius all over the place and had things die. It ended up being his lights, but when I put in the two new powerheads I blew everything all over the place. The next morning is when I lost my blue hippo. I am just so confused. AND STRESSED