substrate; play sand/sand blasting sand

:smirk:
I have some VERY VERY fine white as can be sand that my husband uses for sandblasting.

can sand be too fine?

should I do any type of vinegar testing with it?

Thanks,

BoomerD

Most likely, what your husband uses is silica sand. That's the normal media used in sandblasting.
Can it be too fine? Depends on the grain structure of the sand. If it's "oolitic", (basically rounded grains) then sugar-sized is fine, as it allows some water to flow between the grains. If it's "fractured", ( sharp edges) then it could pack, and restrict water flow.
I'd definitely do the vinegar test, to verify if it's aragonite, (I doubt it) and there is a lot of debate whether silica sand is ok to use or not...

BoomerD

Dunno. Is it in bags? If so, post a pic of the bag. If it's silica, it should be labeled as such, and may even be a silica warning on the bag, because of the potential of silicosis.
If it's not in bags, then the vinegar test will be your next best option.

Cougra

Do you have a camera with a Macro Mode setting? If so take a picture of it and post. Right now we don't really have that much to go on since we can't see it and don't have any sort of name brands for reference. Anything we say will just be a guess that could be far off the mark.

I would also recommend the vinegar test as well.

THanks for helping BoomerD.

I don't have vinegar right now but I compared it to salt and sugar and it is the same size as sugar.

I could try taking a picture of it...I asked him about the bag/box.

He threw it away.

Last edited:

gimpy

I use sandblasting sand for my dsb. It is grayish in color and I used the 60 grit (smallest). That does pack pretty good. This is my second go around with this tank/sand. I just replaced my old sandblasting sand with new sandblasting sand which had been in my tank for about 4-5 years. Mine is silica and will not pass the vinegar test.

Frank

Frankie

RS STAFF
i use to use sandblasting sand in my fresh water tanks. it was black and lite. the oscars loved moving it and even breed in it for a few years. great reaserch boomer. your never ending!