stuff dying need advise.

got a 75 g ,phosphate is .08, nitrate is 10 sal is 1.025 cal is 455 dont have test kit to test for other things but will take water to lfs to test for everything. my yellow star polyps are dying my mushrooms do not open like they used to i do water changes about 3 weeks 15 or 20 gal . i halides with 20k need to change bulbs. was wondering if the lights would have anything to do with it . i bought a gobe looked fine at lfs but since i had him in tank has been pale since.also wondering if he would be causing this turmiol .and my clamthat i have had for over a month has died along with a sebae anemone and a condolactus that did about 2 weeks ago. just asking if anyone has any ideas. do i do another water change. i was useing instant ocean know using reef crystals . i may do another water change and go back to what i have been useing.???????????????????need advise.anything poeple throw me a freegn bone i have had tank for about 9 months

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! that's a LOT of dieing. first bit of advice is add NOTHING else. We need to find out what's wrong.

You need to get a test kit for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

Why did you change salt brands and when?

SeaLover

I am no expert. But I have a 75 gallon tank and do a 10 gallon water change every week. What type of filtration do you have?

Reddog170

First calm down. Second get some more test kits, like say an ammonia kit, calcium kit. Third how fast did you switch salt? Was it all at once or over time? Then also what else has changed? Did you use a qt with the new gobe? How long did your lfs have him? But in actuality I would not look to hard at that as your cause. You NEED to get more tests done. You can start by taking some water to your lfs and getting it tested there. Also have a pen and paper to write down the results. May be able to help out more with more results, also are you testing phosphates or PH? They are not the same thing. If phosphates are what you are testing for then you also need a PH kit as well. People are willing to help just need a little more info.

1st thatnks for the response i changed because someone gave me a bucket of it i still have a bucket of the old stuff. io salt. i figured i would give it a shot know thats its braught up thats about the time my mushrooms stoped opening as much. also could the sick ogbie have anythning do well trying to post pick of tank but have not messed with photo bucket to much i really like my tank andwell you know:heart:

Varga

man it could be so many things. do you have a refractometer or a hydrometer?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Me think's Ammonia or Chloramine. Where does this water come from that you use to make the salt from, Tap Water ?

blue_eyes53813

I am so sorry for your loss and the troubles. A lot of different things running through my head but like posted above.. It could be many many things.. I will post some ideas. Check the tank over best you can and hopefully you will get it resolved...

1st idea, Increase your water changes to weekly water changes. The die off in the tank might be making the water parameters swing to much for the livestock.

2nd-, check your flow. clean powerheads, Low flow an cause low oxygen levels in the tank. Make sure you have good water surface movement.

3rd- make sure no chemicals are accidentally being added to the tank. From buckets ,cleaning material. Sinks... etc.

4th- record all readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates , salinity, temp, May be a swing or a rise in the above reading that is stressing the livestock.

5th- Very Possible if the livestock came from one LFS, they are all sick to begin with.. They may be getting bad shipments of livestock. Check at the lfs if they have been having a lot of loss of livestock.. (they might be honest about this???)

hmm all I can think of right now.. Im sure I will come up with more in time..Good luck..

oppps 6th... The lighting can definitely be the death of corals... Replace all lighting and acclimate as needed...

7th... Make sure you are acclimating all new livestock properly...

well i am going to try to do water change this weekend and the do them once a week or every other week with old salt. i did not know that the lights could have so much of an effect. i was thinking towards that being a cause. but still learning so thatnks. i will get new lights. and test for the rest
75gtvset.jpg
trying to post pic not very sucsessfull to see tank in its day only a few days back . i am not getting anything new till fixed but lights wil get. still brainstorming thanks everyone.

plecosword

very nice tank! I do not see your corals closed up. what did you mean the corals are dying? are they acually going away or just turning a little brown?

a comon thing I see is that we both don't have a lot of Live Rock.

i had some yellow star polyps that are shrinking to nothing. the red mushrooms on the right along with the other mushrooms are not opening like they used to. kinda of odd how soo many poeple have the same issues. i am not going to get anything new. for a while :tears: till my 75 gal tv looks good. i will start to do water changes more often only 10gal once a week . did one today. with old salt. and try to not touch the tank. just let it be. .:poke: it should turn around my levels are not swinging around i will bring the water to lfs to see what they say.:dance:

i took them out as soon as i saw them shrivel up. you know the hudini thing they look good when you turn the light out...of then bam they die while you sleep kinda thing. thanks

plecosword

i had some yellow star polyps that are shrinking to nothing. the red mushrooms on the right along with the other mushrooms are not opening like they used to. kinda of odd how soo many poeple have the same issues. i am not going to get anything new. for a while :tears: till my 75 gal tv looks good. i will start to do water changes more often only 10gal once a week . did one today. with old salt. and try to not touch the tank. just let it be. .:poke: it should turn around my levels are not swinging around i will bring the water to lfs to see what they say.:dance:
how do you mix the salt and how long?

Thats exacly whats happening to my yellow Polyps!:( I haven't heard of anyone with this issue! I thought it was my tiny tank, your 75g should be much more stable. also, are you ruuning any corbon?
is that a frogspawn?

well good news tank is loking much better over the past few days. guess changing salt seemed to be my problem. well lesson learned.
1.mix salt longer 2days
2. dont change salt types sudenly
more water changes will know do water changes 10gal every week or 2