Stubborn Algae

GirlyGirl101

Hello! I posted not long ago about red cyano and I resolvedthat problem but apparently it's been a while since I really cleaned the algae off the glass. Green algae. I try to stay on top of it, welol now I have a problem. I tried today with my mag float and that did nothing. I tried again with a good old fashioned scrubber and some elbow grease, still nothing. It seems nothing takes it off. You can only see it if you look at the glass from behind it. You have to stand on the side of the aquarium and look at the front glass through the water. If that makes any sense. I tried to get a pic but it didn't work. My cuc isn't working on it either. What should I do? Thank you so much!
:blubblub:
:shark2::shark2::shark2::shark2:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm thinking you are talking about FILM algae on the aquarium walls (glass)?
There are some glass scrapers that use razor blades....You may need to use one of that type occasionally. All kinds of algae can be expected in immature tanks.
If you worry about it, check your nitrates & phosphate levels....make sure you are religious with weekly 10% WC's to keep your parameters good.

DaveK

Some algaes are very hard, especially the corralling algaes. If your tank is glass, use a metal blade scraper. Here is one example (offsite) - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3728+3764+24538&pcatid=24538 If you have a plastic tank, you must use a plastic blade scraper to avoid scratching the glass.

On a glass tank you can also use steel wool. use a small piece about a 0 grade. Because it will easily rust, this is a one time use product. Once your done cleaning the glass, discard that piece.

Be sure to get plain steel wool, with no soap or anything else in it.

Mandy11

I vote credit card too. Won't scratch. I wouldn't use/try steel wool on any glass or acrylic tank !!! Usually the film angry is easy to get off its very strange ?

GirlyGirl101

I vote credit card too. Won't scratch. I wouldn't use/try steel wool on any glass or acrylic tank !!! Usually the film angry is easy to get off its very strange ?
Well ill get in there before my foxface gets released from solitary confinement, (ich).
He's a little testy. :shark4:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I use the flipper magnet, works great on anything and it never damaged my starphire glass. Could be an option.