STT to VT

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:hallo: Drew :D

Sorry to hear about the "clown issue" but hopefully they will continue to improve.

I'm shocked at your continued problems with Algae! There has to be something we're missing in that equation.

ScubaDrew

Hey Al!

Yeah, I keep finding things, I'm sure I'll come up with something else! One moment its's the RO filter, the next its lights, then the skimmer clogged.

I think my next point of attack is my refugium. I've avoided much maintenance on it, because it seems to grow pods so well. There are hundreds of them scampering around whenever i look at it. It gathers a lot of light brown gunk on the cheato and there isnt much there to clean it up. My monster gorilla crab makes meals out of anything I add as a cleanup crew. Maybe the crab will have to go.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like a potential idea there. Maybe increasing the flow in the Fuge will help some to. I know I had a similar problem in one of my fuges when there was a snail shell partially restricting flow. Removed the snail and the "slime" went away in the Fuge.

How is the Algae Scrubber working? I would think once it was up and running it would help a GREAT deal.

ScubaDrew

I've got a good coat on one side of the screen. it certainly is growing algae. I need to do some more work to get both sides light. I'm using a standard 'flood' lamp, which lights a circular area - the screen is rectangular. Obviously not ideal. I'm concerned about generating algae growth in other areas of the sump and causing it to build up in pumps etc.

I think a couple of smallish tube style florescent lamps on either side of the screen would work well - just another item on my long to-do list!

Thanks Al!

Drew

Sounds like a potential idea there. Maybe increasing the flow in the Fuge will help some to. I know I had a similar problem in one of my fuges when there was a snail shell partially restricting flow. Removed the snail and the "slime" went away in the Fuge.

How is the Algae Scrubber working? I would think once it was up and running it would help a GREAT deal.

ScubaDrew

I haven't posted pictures in a long time due to my algae problems. I have had great growth, regardless.

Here are some shots:

_MG_4899.jpg

_MG_4894.jpg

_MG_4892.jpg

_MG_4888.jpg

_MG_4886.jpg

_MG_4870-1.jpg

This is what most my photos look like, since my foxface insists on investigating anything that gets near the tank...

_MG_4864.jpg

_MG_4863.jpg

_MG_4853.jpg

_MG_4851.jpg

_MG_4846.jpg

_MG_4838.jpg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I don't see any algae there! I'll take your word for it though. I have noticed that cyano growth in my tank is seasonal. It seems weird, but I only get cyano in the months of October through about February. Have you noticed that at all?

The tank is looking great. Nice to see it after so many months. :clink:

ScubaDrew

hmm, I've only had the tank 1.75 years so I'm not sure I can ascertain seasonal changes yet. I recall something about C02 exchange in the winter is worse, because people typically close windows and doors. This change is said to have some affect on tanks, but I would imagine is easily remedied with a bubbler or some other device which would increase the water's exposer to air.

Thanks Scott - I'm pretty happy with it, just wish I could kill the hair and cyano!

I've been selling xenia frags almost weekly to my LFS at a good profit. I need to frag my chalice which is giant and my orange monti.

I don't see any algae there! I'll take your word for it though. I have noticed that cyano growth in my tank is seasonal. It seems weird, but I only get cyano in the months of October through about February. Have you noticed that at all?

The tank is looking great. Nice to see it after so many months. :clink:

madmartin

omg dude u find more things than anone ive known i just had to reply nice tank im thinking of makeing my 47 corner a sw just need to figure out lighting im new to salt soim still learning

ScubaDrew

Hey Thanks for reading. I assume by finding more things you are referring to the parasites, pests, and algae! =]

The corner tanks are certainly cool looking, everyone who comes by loves mine. The bowed glass can make photography and extended viewing a little less pleasurable, so it's a little trade off.

Lighting was a real pain if you have a hood. The curved shape certainly limits the options. I ended up with some lower light areas in my tank that I think I could have avoided if I had done a 'retrofit' lighting system of some sort.

Read, read, read!

omg dude u find more things than anone ive known i just had to reply nice tank im thinking of makeing my 47 corner a sw just need to figure out lighting im new to salt soim still learning

ScubaDrew

My tank has a leak. It is behind the lower bezel and I cannot locate the source. It is dripping out of the right front corner about a drip every 3 seconds.

I ordered a new tank. It cost me a fortune. It gets here in about 40 hours. Think it will hold?

brikeibur

My tank has a leak. It is behind the lower bezel and I cannot locate the source. It is dripping out of the right front corner about a drip every 3 seconds.

I ordered a new tank. It cost me a fortune. It gets here in about 40 hours. Think it will hold?

Wow, sorry to hear that, that sucks!!

I hope everything goes well for you. What kind of tank did you get? Same kind or opt for something different this go 'round?

I am currently in the process of upgrading from a 24g to a 76g half circle, so I'm unsure about the 'extended viewing' and 'photography' pitfulls at this point. The 76g is still cycling so I don't really have anything great in it yet to take pics of...so we'll see.

Sure hope everything goes well with ur leak and replacement. Keep us informed. We built our stand and canopy, so some major catastrophe like a leak, or the stand collapsing is constantly on my mind. I wish you the best of luck in getting everything safely moved over, without too much of a headache!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Aww man that SUCKS bad! Can you get down INTO it from the inside? I've had an emergency situation and was able to stop (well REALLY slow it down) by using REEF putty (used for attaching frags etc) in a large glob around the leaking area. Its worth a shot IF you can get to it.

Good luck and have some new Salt Water made up and ready regardless!

If I were even remotely close I'd give you a hand.

ScubaDrew

Thanks guys, I've got 20 gallons of RO on hand, and will start mixing fresh salt as asap.

I'll let you know what happens.