STT to VT

Go to HD or Lowes and pick upsome cabinet wood shims. Just tilt the tank "CARFULLY" just enough for the shim to fit underneath and tap the shim till It gets level. Might be tricking seeing you have a corner tank but shouldnt be a problem. Now that I think of It I think It cant be shimed because of being on a corner, the only way maybe Is to drain It then level It that way.

WaiWiliki

I would take as much water out as you can when you do that. Tilting that corner tank would be a wobbling kinda thing since you'll have to tilt one side then the other. This is where I insert my "I would think clause". :away: :)

ScubaDrew

Yeah, I guess I will have to take water out of the tank, its full now, and I dont think I could tilt if I tried...

Am I putting shims between the tank and the stand or between the stand and the floor?

I feel like either way, i'm going to end up with lots of pressure on a small point...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I would level the stand, so put the shims between the floor and the stand. The combined weight of the tank and its contents will be transfered through the stand to the points that touch the floor. The highest pressure will be on the wooden stand. If you shim under the aquarium the weight distribution will be on the glass and sure to cause breakage.
Have you seen this thread? There may be something you can use in here.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/19506-sub-floors-preparing-your-new-aquarium.html

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I've heard some warnings that the 400w might bleach out some things and that 2x250 might have been a better way to go. Anyone have any feeling on this?

Thanks!

Yes I would agree ! What are the dimensions of the tank ?
If you can't or won't replace the 400 for the 250 then I would opt for a higher kelvin bulb. I would stick with one one bulb and get a real good reflector like the LumenArc to get good coverage.

ScubaDrew

Hey Dentoid,

Thanks for the link - I had read that one a few times before. Not much in it about leveling tanks though. I've left things unlevel - Its close enough where I don't think it will be a problem. Cross your fingers.

Drew

I would level the stand, so put the shims between the floor and the stand. The combined weight of the tank and its contents will be transfered through the stand to the points that touch the floor. The highest pressure will be on the wooden stand. If you shim under the aquarium the weight distribution will be on the glass and sure to cause breakage.
Have you seen this thread? There may be something you can use in here.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/19506-sub-floors-preparing-your-new-aquarium.html

ScubaDrew

Yes I would agree ! What are the dimensions of the tank ?
If you can't or won't replace the 400 for the 250 then I would opt for a higher kelvin bulb. I would stick with one one bulb and get a real good reflector like the LumenArc to get good coverage.

Hey Cheeks!

below is an image that will give you a rough feel for the dimensions of the tank. I tried very hard to get 2 MHs in this space but found it to be impossable with resources I had. This is how i ended up w/ the 2 Foot PFO Custom Hood with 1 x Metal Halide + 2 x 75 Watt VHO (HERE)

I'm going to hang this as high as i can in the hood to try and disperse the light a little better. I think i'll get about 7 or 8 inches off the water....

7650d1181703832-90-gal-corner-bow-tank-pima-fish_tank2.jpg

canadiensfan

Having the tank level may give you peace of mind in the future. From what I've read, not having a tank level (especially larger, or bowfront tanks) can lead to tank failure...

ScubaDrew

Just a quick update -

Tank is full, sand is in place, live sand was added.

Sump is working, skimmer is working, water is crystal clear with the exception of a few micro bubble doing the rounds.

Attached is a picture of my 'proof of concept' sump. ill replace this with hard pvc tubing once i'm happy with the design. I could really use another bubble trap on the devider between the skimmer and return pump. currently there is only a trap before the skimmer.

I know its not pretty, but its my fist attempt at a sump.

Attachments

• IMG_5156-2.jpg
    IMG_5156-2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 202

bluespotjawfish

He is a one man shop, so he may be out collecting rock. He tries hard to notify you of your shipment, but if I remember right mine was shipped without notice. I got a call from the airlines that my rock was waiting for me (a day after it had arrived). He called me and apologized though.

Melanie

I'm excited to see your transformation! I've heard great things about the TBS LR. Can't wait to see what you get. I really wanted to get their LR but price was an issue for me so I had to go with etropicals.com. (Less than $4 a lb including shipping.)

ScubaDrew

I just noticed this on his page "PLEASE NOTE: Hello, Richard from Tampa Bay Saltwater here. I will be closed until the end of June (on a very much needed vacation!). Orders will be filled as quickly as possible when I return. Trust me, it's worth the wait!"

June? do you think he means July? if not its bit disconcerning that he has left this message up for an extra month!

Considering ordering from some place else, but I'm worried he will ship with out contacting me as he did for you. He hasnt charged my CC yet...

He is a one man shop, so he may be out collecting rock. He tries hard to notify you of your shipment, but if I remember right mine was shipped without notice. I got a call from the airlines that my rock was waiting for me (a day after it had arrived). He called me and apologized though.

ScubaDrew

Got a message from Richard today:

Richard Londeree to me
show details 10:02 am (2½ hours ago)

Yea I was...in Thailand.....was in the keys last week collecting....am a one man show here!

any day ok to ship?

Looks like he is ready to ship the live rock!

Drew

I just noticed this on his page "PLEASE NOTE: Hello, Richard from Tampa Bay Saltwater here. I will be closed until the end of June (on a very much needed vacation!). Orders will be filled as quickly as possible when I return. Trust me, it's worth the wait!"

June? do you think he means July? if not its bit disconcerning that he has left this message up for an extra month!

Considering ordering from some place else, but I'm worried he will ship with out contacting me as he did for you. He hasnt charged my CC yet...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I got the package from him and had no problems with 2 shipments, 4 weeks apart. He was good about e-mailing and he even called me one weekend that he returned from collecting to tell me that he had just got some great rock. You'll be pleasantly surprised and happy with this rock!

ScubaDrew

Out of date sequence but here are some photos of my disaster area. When I added my sand the tank was cloudy for a week. Even with a 100micron sock the very fine powder circulated. I couldnt find any information on anyone else experiencing this - i belive it may have been due to the crushed coral I put down first having ground itself down during shipping etc.

The tank is crystal clear now.

100_2559.JPG

100_2561.JPG

100_2563.JPG

Its ugly, but its a start!

ScubaDrew

With my shrimp in the water for close to a week I'm starting to get some different (other than all 0's) readings on my water tests. So here they are:

Phosphate - ~0
Nitrite - ~0
Nitrate - 5.0ppm
Calcium - 300mg
pH - 8.0

meandean45

Hi Drew!

If you wait a few days the sand should settle out of your system in the sump. then just syphon it out. You'll probably see this quite a bit until the fines get out of the top layer of your' sand bed, probably several weeks. it will happen alot if you have sand stirring fish early in your' set-up.

Dean

ScubaDrew

Where is the ammonia test result?

I just retested this twice. I dont understand it, but it is 0. I put live sand in over three weeks ago, then added the shrimp less than a week ago.

In the 5 days the shirmp has been in the tank it has almost entirely dissolved - perhaps I cycled w/ just the live sand?

Still, i'm surprised to see 0.