stocking advice: flame angel?

prow

My goldfish is the size of a golf ball (just his body) and he's a dirty pig. And both my tangs are babies. My two tangs combined have total volume of about 25% of my goldfish. The Regal is literally 1.5" nose to tail and as thick as a dime. They eat like 4 hunks of shrimp then they're done. My goldfish eats a teaspoon of flakes and sends most of it out the other end.
that is not all your tangs are eating. they eat all day long munching on the algea growing on the rock. but it matters not.

About the hippo, do you say this because of the tank mates? Or the fish itself? reason I ask is because I usually see 70-80 gallons being a minimum tank size for hippo tangs. (at least according to the sources I've seen so far)
because of the fish. it gets a foot long and reaches close to that pretty quickly. they are not belligerent bullies but they are bullies and will claim the whole tank if its not big enough for them to feel comfy. as for tank size rec thats for just that fish and its territory needs, it dose not take into account other fish in the system and their territory needs, like the yellow tang.

Also good to know. Actually they do all hang out on one side... But all together. *shrug*
it will more than likely get worse. hippo out and flame then see how it goes. still, thought, you may see some territorial stuff but not like it would be if the hippo remains.

Well, I did a 3 week damsel cycle with the LR/LS, then over the next 2 weeks added the chromis, test test test, then the clowns, test test test, then the yellow tang, etc... I'll keep at it.
at the 3 week mark your tank would be lucky if its ready for one fish, and thats if you used good well cured live rock. not that everything is doomed or anything. but even with lots of water changes used to control NH3/NH4, NO3 or NO2 levels, its going to take a while for your anaerobic bacterias to grow enough to balance thing out with your aerobic bacteria. means algae will make up some of imbalances, the algea acts kinda like a compensating mechanism for the tank as a whole. then your tank may find a balance using algae for filtration instead of bacteria and that will be a battle for a long time to come. unless the algae growths dont bother you.

FYI; i would avoid stocking this tank with idea you will be getting a bigger tank soon. murphy is always lurking waiting to throw a wrench in your plans.

lcstorc

I wish I could get away with ignoring stocking limits. When I tried (before I found RS) I had a whole lot of deaths caused by too many fish too quickly. Now my tank is stable and I can get away with most things like overfeeding. I also have a giant skimmer (rated at 4X my water volume) that helps out.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
good choice for your tank. but the hippo should not be in the mix in this size tank. trade this angel for the regal tang, JMO

Not sure I'm understandig this Prow, the Regal Tang is another name for the Paracanthurus hepatus aka Hippo Tang.

prow

Not sure I'm understandig this Prow, the Regal Tang is another name for the Paracanthurus hepatus aka Hippo Tang.
lynn got it right. hippo/regal out flame angel in. sorry its a bad habbit of mine to use hippo/regal as the same even in the same sentence.

cheeks points out a good example of why one should use scientific names like Paracanthurus hepatus instead of common names. regal is used to refer to not only the Paracanthurus hepatus tang but also can refer to the regal angel (Pygoplites diacanthus). when researching or posting its always a good idea to use the scientific names and avoid any confusions. Nice observation and clarification cheeks69:)

Ntruder

Since we're on stocking and bio-load issues, I have what might be a dumb question: How do animals like snails, cleaner shrimp, etc, affect the bio-load?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
It does contribute in a small way but nothing like your fish particularly Tangs and other large fish.

edeasterfromca

Help me,plese to find good soft for a business.

Hi guys
I am only looking for
The best soft to PC-where to buy, join site & other tipe to do a home online business.
Thanks.