Still having Nitrate Problems...

jkrutherford

Okay...First of all I apologize that I could not figure out how to link this thread to the previous thread that I had posted about my nitrate issues. Having said that, here is where I stand. I have a 55 Gallon setup using a whisper 30-60 advanced filter with mechanical, biological, and activated carbon filtration. I have a coralife protien skimmer running which looks like it is doing it's job. I am using Oddysea 440W metal halide lights with flourescent actinics. I have two powerheads, one that is pushing 550gph and the other 750 gph. I have approximatlely 25 lbs of live rock that is teaming with coraline and has some halmedia (i think that is the way it is spelled) macro on it. I have approx 10 lbs of base rock that has nothing on it but green algae, which leads me to my first question. Why the heck is the tank being taken over by green algae? But i digresss...I have not told you the paramaters on this tank and the actions I have been taking to lead up to the current situation. First of all I have been doing water changes, starting with a 50% then 10 % every 2 to 3 days since the middle of January. Just siphoned off another 20% change tonight and will have the water in there tomorrow morning. My paramaters are as follows....ph 8.4, nitrate 160ppm, ammonia o ppm, salinity 1.025, Nitrite 0 ppm, Calcium 360 ppm, hardness 7, phosphate 0 ppm. Every time I change out the water I stir up the sand bed to get out any detrious material I may have and then siphon off the old water. I am at my wit's end on this thing and about to just start over. I know you guys have told me that water change is the key, but the lowest my nitrates have dropped is 80 ppm. I had everything tested with my brother's test kit which is a different brand than the API test kit that I use and it all looked pretty much the same. Any suggestions other than just starting off fresh?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
eek indeed! nitrate is the end game of the ammonia cycle, something is rotting in Denmark (snicker lol) its either something in the live rock or the whisper nitrate filter, what is currently stocked in the tank

jkrutherford

nothing is stocked in the tank I am still coming off of the cycle I cannot even put in a cleanup crew because of these dang nitrates.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
pictures? I would take each piece of rock up to the surface and get the sniffer on it, you probably have a big smelly piece of rotting sponge somewhere

My API test kit read the exact same thing no matter how much water I changed. Then I had it tested at the lfs(seachem test kit)it read 60ppm and he told me that API was worthless. The ammonia and nitrite tests are fine when just cycling but when it's actually stocked go for something better. I use seachem now and am very happy with it. But I would look into an algae turf scrubber for your system they are great filters and don't take up much space.

redneckgearhead

The trates could be leaching out of the rock. Or as Sas mentioned, something dead and rotting in the LR. Have you tested your water supply? Test the tank water and the water change water. Are you using RO/DI water?

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 either something is rotting, or you're introducing nitrate with your new water, would be my guesses also.

I would have suspected the test kit, until you said you have tried a different brand with the same result. Although a test at the LFS wouldn't hurt, just in case you're making a testing error with both kits.

With nothing in the tank, and the nitrate problems you're having I think a turf scrubber would be a mistake at this point. It would be like painting the blood you're hemorrhaging, white so it doesn't show up on the white floor...not really going to find the source of the problem.

redneckgearhead

+1 either something is rotting, or you're introducing nitrate with your new water, would be my guesses also.

I would have suspected the test kit, until you said you have tried a different brand with the same result. Although a test at the LFS wouldn't hurt, just in case you're making a testing error with both kits.

With nothing in the tank, and the nitrate problems you're having I think a turf scrubber would be a mistake at this point. It would be like painting the blood you're hemorrhaging, white so it doesn't show up on the white floor...not really going to find the source of the problem.
True IF the trates are coming from his water source. And if he has green algae on the base rock, he already has a scrubber, its just in his DT.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
a bloodletting can be good now and then

brandon

on your hang on filter how long has the sponge pad and media been in the tank? Has it been in there since you started your cycle? If that's the case I would change out the media for fresh media. The media coulb be ha.ginger onto debris of rotting stuff from your cycle. But I would still keep up on the water changes so your nitrates dont get any higher.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm not sure if i read it right but don't disturb the sand to get the detritus out........you can siphon close to the top layer but don't move it around as you want it to "setup". I'd let the tank flow whisk the detritus up and out.

What's the water source again?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Listen to Sas about your rocks. I got a coral in a couple months ago and the rock was downright rotten. The day after getting the coral I could smell the stink in the house. I pulled the rock out of the tank and it about knocked me over. I quickly pealed the coral off the rock and threw that rock away. I don't know what it was with that rock but there was something definitely decaying inside of it.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I may have missed it but I didn't see you answer the question on where you're getting your water from? Is it RO, RO/DI or tap water?

catran

You'll need to get everything but carbon out of the filter and maybe a sponge, if you rinse it daily for a while. Like someone said, don't disturb your sand bed. After your nitrates are down, you never want to disturb anymore than 1/8"-1/4" of the sand bed!
Also, please answer what source of water are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

My vote is bad rock. It Happens.

If ithe have test kit close to expiration i take RO/DI and tank water to LFS for comparo.
Even if test kit is bad , most times it will still be consistent against its own reading before and after WC.
If you do a 50% WC you should have a 50% drop in trates assuming 0 in source water.