still cant grow coraline algae

mike 1

figured i would ask someone here for some help i have had my tank setup for about a year i am having a hard time growing coraline algae i have small specs of it all over my rock but thats about it just wanted the basics on how to get it going

thanks

mike 1

lol i will answer the best i can i have two coralife lights one high ouput 39w each and one standard t5 lights for the params i just use the api master kit and everything is good according to those cards it comes with might need you to elaborate on the params sorry

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
yes. but first tell us a little about the tank you have, inhabitants, salt you use etc...

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
A year is good. to stimulate coralline, i usually scrape some from a friends tank or a LFS and then crush it up into small pieces and sprikel into the tank......spreads the seed really well. I would not buy any "coralline purple" stuff......it will go naturally but like corals, it uses CA to grow/build so i would test that....maybe your salt doesn't give you enough.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Mrs wages pickling lime is also a good way to add Ca and Alk to your tank.....commerically they call it kalkwasser mix but this stuff is waaaaaay cheaper.....may want to look into that if you are just looking for additional Ca/Alk.....great for top off water (not too much at one time though)

JulesVane

I suggest using B-Ionic 2 part Calcium & Alkalinity and B-Ionic Magnesium, and of course testing for such. Great products!