Steve's LEDs

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks, guys.

One other question for all of the RSM250 Steve's Leds users. What power did you settle on in the end? Right now I am at 62% on the blues and 46% on the whites. I am wondering if I am too bright though, since some of my corals seem to be reacting negatively. I have slowly worked my way up from 40% on each channel over the last 3 months.
I'm at 78% on all 4 channels....my tank is mostly LPS with a few SPS. Everything seems to be doing fine & even growing faster than I'd like to have to frag it. I have mine set to fade in & out for 2hr & 15min.

Lexinverts

If you want to run all of your drivers at the same time, then I am with Greg. It can't be done. However, you most likely have 4 drivers, 2 drivers of the same type of LEDs and 2 drivers of the same, different type of LED. What you could do is run half of your drivers from 7:30 to 11:30 (one white and one blue) and then they shut off until the next day. At 5:30, your other pair of drivers come on until 9:30. While you are losing half of your light intensity, a lot of people run their Steve's LEDs at half power. While this will look like it will work, most likely running 2 drivers will only give you strong coverage in half of your tank based on the setup of the LEDs. This will be very bad for your coral in your system if you do it this way since the left side will be getting high intensity light for 4 hours a day and washed out light for the other 4 (when the right side is on high intensity).

Another way to do it is to have your lights set with the Typhon to be on all day. Then you can split the photo period using the stock dial timer.

Diemaker

ok so whats everyone running there led's at on there 500 and 650's i have mine 100% blue and 65% white and i'm not happy with the colours

Bgouges

Thanks, guys.

One other question for all of the RSM250 Steve's Leds users. What power did you settle on in the end? Right now I am at 62% on the blues and 46% on the whites. I am wondering if I am too bright though, since some of my corals seem to be reacting negatively. I have slowly worked my way up from 40% on each channel over the last 3 months.
I currently run mine at 80% whites 85%blues i run them for 7 hours with two hour fade in/out :)

mhago

Hi All!! I think I'm gonna buy the 99 percent for 130d. Does anybody know where I can find a video explaining how to install?

Tks

Lexinverts

ok so whats everyone running there led's at on there 500 and 650's i have mine 100% blue and 65% white and i'm not happy with the colours

I am running mine at 76% blue and 34% white, and I like the colors and growth I am getting. Less of those yellow "neutral" whites, the better.

Really all your corals need is the blues for photosynthesis. The only purpose the white light serves is to make your corals show colors other than the fluorescent greens and oranges, and you don't need too much for them to show their other colors. My corals looked washed out when I had both the blues and whites set to the same %.

Last edited:

Pat24601

As I look at Steve's LEDs for the RSM 250 and the 99% option kit, the sales page says " Your kit will be 99% assembled, effectively reducing the installation time from hours to less than 10 minutes. A phillips screwdriver using the included 4 screws is all that is required for installation, except if you purchased the "RSM Timer/Moonlight Prewire," then a hand drill is required to drill 1-3 small holes"

I know the 10 minutes is untrue marketing hype. The question I have is about the drilling. When I look at the instructions (and they aren't clear without opening the hood), it looks like drilling is required even without the timer prewire.

Not that its my biggest concern but will I need to drill?

ziggy

As I look at Steve's LEDs for the RSM 250 and the 99% option kit, the sales page says " Your kit will be 99% assembled, effectively reducing the installation time from hours to less than 10 minutes. A phillips screwdriver using the included 4 screws is all that is required for installation, except if you purchased the "RSM Timer/Moonlight Prewire," then a hand drill is required to drill 1-3 small holes"

I know the 10 minutes is untrue marketing hype. The question I have is about the drilling. When I look at the instructions (and they aren't clear without opening the hood), it looks like drilling is required even without the timer prewire.

Not that its my biggest concern but will I need to drill?
Greg can hopefully chime in...

Pat24601

So, I put my purchase in for Steve's. I was actually going to ask an electrician I need to have come by and do some other work do this install for me as well. I have a lot of confidence I can do the install, I just really don't want to after reading this thread.

I'm starting to second guess, that though, for two reasons. (1) An electrician won't necessarily know how to do these hoods any better than me and at least I've read all 38 pages of this thread and know kind of where to look WHEN (not IF) I run into trouble. He won't know that. (2) With Greg gone, it might be nice for our community if one more person has done an install on a C-250 to help others down the road.

The real thing that scares me is my 18 month old kids. I'll have to find a window where Mom takes them somewhere for a few hours without me (which is VERY rare when I'm home) and then it puts me under immense time pressure to get it done before they get home and decide to help. :)

I considered ordering a back up hood just so I wouldn't be under time pressure to get this done and then I'd be highly confident I could do it well...even if I have to do it here and there over a few days. I may still do that. $400, though.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good luck Pat ! Sure some members can help with whatever may come up !

Remember if needed, going lights out for a couple days, won't hurt a thing.

Sidebar - Greg is still around (I got a PM from him today) ... life just got busy for him, hopefully things will sort soon & we will see him active on RS again - he has helped soooo many with these leds, maybe someone he has helped can help you, if needed. :thumber2:

I know your corals will love them !

Snyper19

PREMIUM
Hello,
Something's wrong with my Steves LEDs, one of my blues just shut turned off... I already took the hood apart and tried to turn them on and nothing. I bought a tester to make sure it has some electricity and all four channels are receiving electricity. I don't know what else to do or try. Any suggestions will be helpful I'm sure.

Thanks in advance

ziggy

Hello,
Something's wrong with my Steves LEDs, one of my blues just shut turned off... I already took the hood apart and tried to turn them on and nothing. I bought a tester to make sure it has some electricity and all four channels are receiving electricity. I don't know what else to do or try. Any suggestions will be helpful I'm sure.

Thanks in advance
If all 4 channel cards are the same, I would swap the one connected to the bad light strip with another one. This will tell you if it's the card or possibly the LED that died. Also by moving the bad channel, it may make an intermittent connection work.

Pat24601

I'm at 78% on all 4 channels....my tank is mostly LPS with a few SPS. Everything seems to be doing fine & even growing faster than I'd like to have to frag it. I have mine set to fade in & out for 2hr & 15min.

How many hours a day do you do?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My lights start the "fade in Sunrise" (amazingly beautiful to watch!!) at 9:30AM and that lasts 2 & 1/2 hours. So they are at full set power at 12 noon.
Then they start a 2 & 1/2 power down & are off by 8:45pm (again beautiful to watch)
The moonlights on my tank take over for the night. I L:heart:VE IT!
My tank is never totally black dark. But the corals close up (except for the ones that only open at night like my Scolymias) and my fish go into their sleeping places. :sleeeeeepyyyyy:
It's working for me & my tank. So much more "awesomer & more naturally beautiful" Than when the lights just clicked ON & OFF.
There is just a PEACEFUL effect of the fade in & out. I would just never want to go back to the rude awakening of popping ON & OFF of the lights.

I took a long way of telling you how many hours because they are not at full power for all the hours they are on. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cdeeds

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the LEDs but was wondering if anyone has them working in conjunction with an Apex controller and if so how do you have it set up?