Steve's LEDs

something strange i found, anyone have any idea why my leds are flickering when i turn my main pump on and off?

everything is plugged in the same outlet.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
something strange i found, anyone have any idea why my leds are flickering when i turn my main pump on and off?

everything is plugged in the same outlet.

Try moving the plug to the power supply to another outlet.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
What percentages is everyone running there leds? Just recently I've lost a few heads on my hammer colonies. They were looking great with good growth and extension and almost over night I lost a few heads. My first thought is too much light. I just repositioned some on the sand bed. I'm running my retro at all channels around 60% for 9 hours with a 2 hour fade. My parameters appear to all be good although I'm well over do for a water change and it's time to clean out the sump.

Just curious as to duration and percentages.

If Mike ever gets his installed I will have some par values on the s series systems.

I had mine up higher but found corals seem to like them better lower. I have my whites at 56% and my blues at 61% from 9:30 AM to 9:30 PM with a two hour fade in and 2 hour fade out.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What percentages is everyone running there leds? Just recently I've lost a few heads on my hammer colonies. They were looking great with good growth and extension and almost over night I lost a few heads. My first thought is too much light. I just repositioned some on the sand bed. I'm running my retro at all channels around 60% for 9 hours with a 2 hour fade. My parameters appear to all be good although I'm well over do for a water change and it's time to clean out the sump.

Just curious as to duration and percentages.

If Mike ever gets his installed I will have some par values on the s series systems.

Any drastic increase (And going from Fluorescent to LED is drastic) can have dramatic effect on many coral and Euphyllia is one that often don't tolerate the abrupt change well. On the flip side other than Brown Jelly Disease they tend to be very resilient and bounce back more often than not.

When I add LED to a tank I start VERY low (possibly too low but I've lost SPS and LPS by NOT starting low so I err on the side of caution). I start around 10% and increase by 5% per week until I feel like the tank looks similar to how it did before the upgrade (in terms of Polyp Extension and over all coral appearance). My home tank is sitting between 70% and 80% and my office tank is sitting around 60% and I doubt either will be going any higher.

Newjack

seems like a quick dim flicker

ok if its only doing that when the pump is running then something is overloaded weather its a surf protector or splitter or extention cord or hopefully not but could be the breaker. Can you list everything that is comming out of the plug from power strips to splitters pump lights and how many please. Even a pic of the wires would help and I could tell you exacly what is causing it.

Newjack

Also to be safe please turn off anything that is not essential. An overloaded circuit rather a splitter, surge protector, breaker or wire can burn a house to the ground. I can not stress how many times I get called to investigate the reason of a home electrical fire

i probably have too much stuff on the outlet now that i think about it. tank and entertainment center are on the same outlet :(

for the tank, i have steves led kit w/ controller, one return pump, heater.

on the entertainment center i have a flatscreen tv, dvr box, ps4, xbox 360, an audio stereo, also a modem and router.

never have all this stuff on at once though.

when i noticed the problem, the only things on were the modem/router, dvr box, and tank components.

Newjack

i probably have too much stuff on the outlet now that i think about it. tank and entertainment center are on the same outlet :(

for the tank, i have steves led kit w/ controller, one return pump, heater.

on the entertainment center i have a flatscreen tv, dvr box, ps4, xbox 360, an audio stereo, also a modem and router.

never have all this stuff on at once though.

when i noticed the problem, the only things on were the modem/router, dvr box, and tank components.

ok try taking an extention cord an plug it in to an outlit from a diff room furthest as possible. then plug the lights into it and see if it still pulses

i couldnt get an outlet from a different room,
but i did manage to get one from a different wall,
did some testing, and this is what i found:

i unplugged the entertainment center completely, still flickers
i moved the led plugs to the extension cord, still flickers

the flicker only happens when the lights are completely off too,
when they are on, i dont notice any flicker when i toggle the pump.

Newjack

ok so the reason why I asked to do a different room is because most of the time home circuits are dedicated to rooms. IE.. living room is 1 kitchen is 2 master bed is 3 bathrooms are always separate. Depending how your house is wired its possible that the lights are on the same circuit as the receptacles. If the "plug" for the LEDs is a power pack witch will be larger than an average plug or perhaps there is a rectangle power pack inline with the cord, can you look at it and see if it tell you how many amps it draws. If it is a straight cord with a standard plug then it should say it somewhere in the box or on the ballast. Also what type of pump do you have? Most home breakers are only 15-20 amp breakers and with lights, LEDs and a pump on the same circuit may exceed that rating.
Most of the time, apartments, condos, duplexes and mobile homes are wired with lights and receptacles on the same circuit.

Also to be safe every once in a while touch the wires to the LEDs or place the back of your hand on the face of the receptacle and see if its warm or hot to the touch. That would indicate overloading. Also depending when your home was built it could be wired with 14 AWG wire witch can not handle much if it is older. Newer homes are wired with 12 AWG witch can take twice as much heat. There has been a few times someone has hired me to come to there house and wire a dedicated receptacle for there tank(s) because of the age and old code for residential electrical.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If it is an emergency, you can put "URGENT" in the subject line and they will respond faster.

Snyper19

PREMIUM
my Lights I believe they will arrive sometime tomorrow, I ordered the 99% completed system... will the installation be a little bit easier than 95% Complete System?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
my Lights I believe they will arrive sometime tomorrow, I ordered the 99% completed system... will the installation be a little bit easier than 95% Complete System?

It should be 4% easier!! :):):)

To most folks, the hardest is part is getting the hood apart and gutting it. I'm sure it will go fine, plus we'll be here if you need any help.

Snyper19

PREMIUM
lol... alright... I meant I still need to drill right? someone posted that all I will need is just a screwdriver... I just want to be ready with all the tools I need.

Thanks.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You will still have to drill some 1/4"-ish holes to get the wires out of the hood.