Steve's LEDs

Siebo

Perfect! 3rd option is what I planned to do. Just was not 100% sure I would not cook the driver this way. I will just use the hot wire on both. Thank you!

Tank thread will be coming!

P6R

I've been in and out of the thread in the last few months. My retrofit (Typhoon with dimmers and stock timer/moonlights) on my RSM 130 went well and still going strong.

I'll be adding an Apex controller shortly - has anyone substituted a Typhoon for an Apex? Interested to know how it can be done.

I've dropped Steve's LEDs a note but interested in practical issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diemaker

Ok so I would like to pull the trigger and order a kit for my,650 I'm not sure what k rating to go for the 14 or the 16 Also I'm a little confused on what I need to hook it up to my apex

P6R

Seem straightforward enough to move from Typhon to Apex.
Jeff at Steves LEDs "Should you still choose to use the Apex, all you would need is the ACI which upgrades the Apex signal from 0-10V analog to digital PWM, for the digital LED electronics"
ACI is the 30USD Aquarium Controller Interface.
APEX to the ACI (normally mounted in the hood) needs a Neptune lighting cable or you can DIY with a Cat5 cable and cut one end off.

Newjack

Seem straightforward enough to move from Typhon to Apex.
Jeff at Steves LEDs "Should you still choose to use the Apex, all you would need is the ACI which upgrades the Apex signal from 0-10V analog to digital PWM, for the digital LED electronics"
ACI is the 30USD Aquarium Controller Interface.
APEX to the ACI (normally mounted in the hood) needs a Neptune lighting cable or you can DIY with a Cat5 cable and cut one end off.

I just want to for warn that if you use cat5 cable on anything make sure no part of it is getting a lot of heat like in the hood. Cat5 has a low heat tolerance and when hot it may look fine but it will give off a toxic gas. There has been many issues with people putting a lot of cat5 in there attics and when they stay up there to long it gives them a queezy feeling. this is why cat5 is always ran under the house not in attics. Anyways as long as no part of it is in the hood its ok to use. If it needs to be in the hood use Neptune cable, it has a lot higher heat tolerance and is rated for outdoor use as well.

Diemaker

So no takers on my post which k rating and I only see a Neptune cable for a 2 channel I was thinking I needed a four channel

Sent from my space ship

P6R

If you need 4 independent channels you need to use both 2-channel outputs from the Apex and 2x 2-channel cables

Bryan Piersol

Thanks Jan, I appreciate it. Hopefully they will update their instructions to make it easier on the purchaser! In the meantime, I don't mind helping folks out, it really isn't any trouble.

Hi Greg, I'm new to this forum and have learned a lot from this thread. I just got my RSM250 99% kit the other day and have it nearly finished!
Three questions if you can give your experience--
1) from the power supply cable (my wires are white, black, and green), do you recall if you just crimped the green wire to the green/yellow wire that is already in the hood?
2)on my first relay that these wires plug into, the picture in the directions show the 'middle' two tabs as the ones being used...right now, these are occupied by existing tabs. Did you need to move these to the outer position so you could plug the power supply wires into that 'middle' set of terminals?
3) I didn't get the extension cable for the Typhoon, and I have (8) 4" wires...no clue what to do with these.

I'm glad to have come across this thread, your experience speaks volumes!
Thanks!
Bryan

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi Greg, I'm new to this forum and have learned a lot from this thread. I just got my RSM250 99% kit the other day and have it nearly finished!
Three questions if you can give your experience--
1) from the power supply cable (my wires are white, black, and green), do you recall if you just crimped the green wire to the green/yellow wire that is already in the hood? Yes, that is correct
2)on my first relay that these wires plug into, the picture in the directions show the 'middle' two tabs as the ones being used...right now, these are occupied by existing tabs. Did you need to move these to the outer position so you could plug the power supply wires into that 'middle' set of terminals? I don't think I had to as the middle tabs were available. I think it would be best to go ahead and move them, though I doubt it makes any difference. See the pic below of my relay.
3) I didn't get the extension cable for the Typhoon, and I have (8) 4" wires...no clue what to do with these. Is there a connector on the end of those to plug into the typhon? If so it plugs into the typhon and you'll have to go buy some 22 or 24 gauge wire to run those up into the hood and connect to the driver board.

I'm glad to have come across this thread, your experience speaks volumes!
Thanks!
Bryan

Welcome to RS!!

Bryan Piersol

Got things up and running thanks for the confirmations Greg!
For the Typhoon, I picked up some 20ga wire and extended the short leads so that they can go up into the hood to the drivers. Since I have 8 wires, I would think there would be 4 places for 2 wires each. I only see 2 places for 2 wires each. Am I over- or under-thinking something here?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Probably not, you only need to hook up one of the negatives so you'll only have to connect 5 wires total.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Bryan

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

and Cheers Greg for the continued great help to all RS members !

P6R

Has anyone used alternate power supplies to Steves 'own brand'? It performs well but wondered if anyone found a quieter one? I'll try repositioning it to reduce the number of times the fan kicks in but thought I'd check. I have the RSM130D retrofit and have the supply in the cabinet underneath.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If I remember correctly, the fans in the LED power supply are the same that are used as hood cooling fans in the RSM250. So if you can find a quieter replacement for those, you should be able to use it in the power supply.