Steve's LED PAR value in RSM 250

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I took the following PAR readings using a Seneye PAR meter. I did the readings with all channels at 60 %, then all channels at 65% and finally all channels at 70%. I didn't go any higher but I can if someone needs them. Please keep in mind that these values are somewhat difficult to record as the angle of the Seneye head can alter the readings. I think I got them pretty accurate.

All channels at 60 %

All channels at 65%

All channels at 70&

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
YAY...THANK YOU GREG for sharing your findings! :geekin:
Now I need to study up on where I have what corals & where they might do even better.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello, just out of curiosity, what's the distance from the water to the diodes?

Hi Winschuc :wave:
:welcomera to posting at Reef Sanctuary :crowd:Glad you joined in!
Much more FUN being an RS Member than just lurking :thumbup:
Hope to see more posts & hear about your tank (pictures would be awesome!!)
Very Best Wishes :biker

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello, just out of curiosity, what's the distance from the water to the diodes?

Kinda to answer your question without measuring....the LEDs are a retrofit made to fit inside the RSM 250 hood.
So they are less than 6 inches from the water surface, being it is a closed hood on the tank.

winschuc

Ok. That's what I thought. I ask because I just installed a retro kit on my 30" deep cube and am still trying to figure out mounting height.

Great to see some par numbers associated with these LEDs!

winschuc

Thanks!

Looks like it's time to lower mine a bit!! Although my RBTA is still sitting at the bottom and seems happy (27" from the lights give or take for rock/sand)

I'll start a thread here soon so I don't hijack yours! Again, appreciate the info!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks!

Looks like it's time to lower mine a bit!! Although my RBTA is still sitting at the bottom and seems happy (27" from the lights give or take for rock/sand)

I'll start a thread here soon so I don't hijack yours! Again, appreciate the info!
Would be very HAPPY to follow along with your tank thread....we're talking about LEDs so it's not thread hi-Jack! ;)

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Here's a bit of information that we have found regarding the PAR readings in our RSM250 LED upgrade.

Background: Photosynthetic Active Radiation (PAR). This is measured in units of micro-mol per meter squared per second (umol/m2/s), a measure of energy output, within the wavelengths of 400nm-800nm, which is traditionally called Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density (PPFD, but we won't use that latter term here, but just know they are one in the same).

PAR meters, which use quantum sensors (all PAR meters use quantum sensors) are not an accurate way to measure the PAR output of LEDs. Measuring PAR for LEDs is a bit more difficult than measuring broad spectrum lighting such as MH, T5, HPS, for which the PAR meter sensor was designed. A standard PAR meter works great for those broad spectrum sources, but not for narrow spectrum LEDs. (Yes full spectrum LEDs still are narrow spectrum, because they have bands near all of the phtosynthetic peaks on coral chlorophyll, which is why they are more efficient when trying to hit target wavelengths (think rifle bullet vs shotgun) and LEDs grow corals better).

A properly designed marine LED system uses LEDs with wavelengths that are aimed at very narrow and specific coral zooxanthellae's photosynthetic peaks in massive amounts - this quickly saturates a standard PAR meter's sensor. When the sensor is saturated, it cannot read that amount of light once it passes the saturation threshold, so the sensor retards the reading to a lesser false value.

The proper tool for measurement would be the radio-spectrometer. This type of tool reads specific bands and reports specific intensity readings for each wavelength. Whereas a PAR meter will simply output one value for the entire visible light spectrum and you are not sure which wavelength has the most intensity, and which wavelengths are are saturated.

When running a radio-spectrometer side by side with a relatively high end PAR meter, we have found that PAR meters are consistently reading about 30% lower than the actual value in the 445nm range (that's royal blue, or 20,000-24,000K actinic blue folks!), the most important range for coral since that's where the primary alpha (α) photosynthetic peak lays. It also gets saturated in the 460nm (regular cool blue), 430nm (violet) and 520nm (green) wavelengths as well, but to a lesser degree of about 12% reduction. We found negligible saturation (<5%) in the amber (600-700nm) and red (640-680nm) ranges too. These tests were performed on the Philips Luxeon Rebel and Philips Luxeon ES series LEDs. We can expect other high-end LEDs to perform similarly, whereas the no-name chinese LEDs (Epistar, Bridgelux, etc) perform at about 50%, or half as well, or about half as efficient dependent on the individual LED.

That said, marine aquarium LED systems have a dominate ratio of blue 445nm wavelengths to other wavelengths by a factor of at least 2:1, and in some cases around 3:1 depending on the LED combination you have and how many royal blues there are compared to other colored LEDs. From this, we can deduce a relatively safe offset when using PAR meters, of approximately 23% (approximation of the average of the differences in the primary proportions of PAR meter saturation reduction values listed in the previous paragraph). That means, we can relatively accurately use a PAR meter to measure the output of LEDs, by simply adding this otherwise unread amount of PAR (due to that sensor saturation) - a factor of +23% to the PAR reading.

Example: (2 assumptions : 1) let us assume the water is 100% clear, because that's a whole other story on PAR readings, 2) let us assume the PAR meter sensor is set at 12" below the light source.) The PAR meter "Meter Reads" values below are imaginary numbers to be used exclusively for this example.

Metal Halide (broad spectrum source)-
Meter Reads : reads 350 umol/m2/s (that's what we call "350 PAR")
Actual PAR value: it is spot on at 350 umol/m2/s

T5 (broad spectrum source)-
Meter Reads: Reads 350 umol/m2/s
Actual PAR Value: it is spot on at 350 umol/m2/s

LEDs (narrow spectrum source)-
Meter Reads: Reads 350 umol/m2/s
Actual PAR Value: we need to first account for our factor of 23% for PAR meter saturation to calculate the exact value (when using Luxeon LEDs):
350 umol/m2/s X (23%) = 80.50 umol/m2/s.
Now that we have that missing 23% value, we add it on to the original meter's value.
350 umol/m2/s + 80.50 umol/m2/s = 430.50 umol/m2/s

So based on the values read on the first post on this thread, you can add an additional 23% for a surprisingly accurate readout of actual PAR values, and you can then see that you can grow darn near any coral from any ocean, placed pretty much anywhere in the aquarium. The test to calculate the offset was considered a premium sensor, so it is likely more accurate and has a higher saturation tolerance than a lower quality meter, so the calculated value of 23% could be as high as 45%, depending on the quality level of the quantum sensor your PAR meter is using.

Let me know if anyone has additional questions, I'll be glad to explain.

Thanks,
Jeff

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
PAR on new stock bulbs were right at 145 at the bottom of the aquarium. After about 6 months, that dropped to around 120. This was from my personal aquarium when I got it about 6 years ago. Using different bulbs will net you different PAR values, but the difference is going to be negligible. Now, I easily get close to 350 PAR at the bottom of the aquarium with my LEDs at full power - which is much too much fro anything anywhere else in the aquarium without 6 months or more of acclimation time, but awesome in itself. On a snorkeling trip I took to Aruba in South America (near the equator) PAR measured around 550 at 12" from the surface, and QUICKLY dropped off. Granted that 12" from the surface was my best attempt because it is wavy in the ocean!

Jeff