steve's 55 gallon reef build! =)

sgild001

so i just came across a 55 a friend was kind enough to give me, and now as i am cleaning it out and all of that stuff i start wondering what kind of fish, corals, anemones do i want in here? I still have the 30g all set up and the 10 qt as well, so what kind of ideas can i get from you guys? It doesn't matter with FOWLR or reef i think they are both awesome. SO i am just too ADD with this tank to decide on my own. ANY ideas are welcome but just take into consideration my wallet and the fishies sizes seeing as i don't have a larger tank to transfer fish into yet unfortunately. ill post pics as it goes, gotta get some lime build up off the tank vinegar works right?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
5-1 water n vinegar works super. As for the tank is this ur first? Anything in particular interest u? What's the budget n set up?

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Congrats on the new tank. A 55 is a fun tank, but I'll warn you, it's just a gateway tank. Look at Rob, he has a 55 and is looking to upgrade to a 120; I had a 55 and upgraded to a 125. So you have been forewarned ahead of time lol. Now is the time to decide what kind of tank you want (once you get it clean). Take your time on deciding what you want: FOWLR, Softie tank, Hard corals... Picking what kind of tank you want will dictate what kind of lighting and other equipment you'll need for your new tank. We all have our preferences so go with you heart and do it your way!

Robzilla

It's a problem....One day you friend tells you "Go ahead, try a 55...it will be fun!" But then the fish list grows and the coral list grows and then you want (scratch that - NEED) a bigger tank and before you know it you are left with yourself and the tank, periodically breaking your face away from the glass to scoop tank water to use as a makeshift bath. I need help.

dmatt88

True dat. I started with a 55 (its for sale now) upgraded to a 125 now im in a 220 and adding 3 other tanks. My wife asked if she's going to come home to a salt swimming pool some day. Its possible! Enjoy the tank!

Stretch

I went from a 55 to a 120 as well. See a pattern...? Lol have fun!!

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

sgild001

haha well i have a 29 set up now, so i can definitely understand it, i really really like tangs, however i have been told by multiple people that they are usually a good bit happier in a 6' tank than a 4' or 5', so i am already planning on getting a 125g. So i don't have a budget per say...(i know dangerous and not helpful) but i just kinda get what i want and find it for the best price and healthiest fish, so ya i guess on fish don't worry bout price just on the equipment ill have to be sure im gettin best price. so tangs, i have been told humu triggers aren't as aggressive, and they stay relatively small round 6 or 7 inches? is either of these statements right? i really would like a large angel, maybe a tang that is ok with smaller tanks, honestly i have just been crazily interested in reefing since i was about 5 living in California and couldn't help but go to the Monterrey aquarium all the stinkin time. i can't wait to join the ranks of larger tanks trust me, i went looking today even haha, it is just so sad no one around me ever seems to be selling larger tanks. anyways any ideas would be awesome. I am still just cleaning it out, so if you have ideas throw em at me i can price them out and such.

dmatt88

Just a note. A 6 foot tank requires almost the same equipment. Lighting, sump skimmer etc. The 125 is short though. Great for sps but ya gotta bend over to watch things. The 220 is one deep dude allowing me to stand straight up n admire. In other words if ur going 125 consider the 220. Once ya see one u will b hooked.

sgild001

matt, i now i saw one today at lfs, they are sweet but one think i like about the 6' is that i can make like different sections and do different lighting for different coral needs and stuff like that, but ya know i might just need both, its getting bad, the shakes are starting haha. @tnwillia, i will have fun that is what this is all about. Even though a lot people look at the maintenance of the tanks as kind of a chore i actually enjoy it.